Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Miami Pick Up

Florida Junior

Miami Pick Up

Hi

Has anyone picked up from Miami recently. We are travelling to Miami in October 2013 and wondered f it is as easy as orlando.

We have booked with Alamo a intermediate SUV do they have a good selection.

Thanks

Graham

Florida Expert gail and david roberts's Avatar
    Did it a couple of years ago , did use a sat nav and found it very easy ,
    Gail

Very easy as they now have a monorail to the car pickup garage
    Lynne

Super Moderator
    If you are going to use the 27 to travel north it is very simple now as it is out of the garage, right at the traffic lights then exit left onto the ramp for the US27.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jill View Post
    If you are going to use the 27 to travel north it is very simple now as it is out of the garage, right at the traffic lights then exit left onto the ramp for the US27.
    Thanks Jill. Just perfect for my next trip out!
    Christine

Gold 5 Star Member
    The new Car Rental Centre is undoubtedly a big improvement on the past set up. Very modern and the monorail takes just a couple of minutes.

I don't know if you've flown into MIA recently but Immigration and Customs there is dreadful and has now been made even worse by budget cuts in staff. A May 2013 survey showed it to be the worst in the US and delays of 2 hours are commonplace and even over 3 hours isn't that unusual. I mention that because you might want to factor it into your plans. If you're arriving in the late afternoon and are delayed getting to the rental centre, in October that probably means most of your journey (I'm assuming to Orlando) will be in the dark. I fly through MIA several times a year and know it pretty well but I usually book a night in an airport hotel and make a refreshed early start in the morning if it looks like it will be dark when I set off.

Your call of course but might be worth considering.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 05-06-2013 at 18:03.

Florida Junior
    Hi Katys Gradad

Flight gets in about 4pm so we have booked a hotel for the night as I did not want a 4-5hr drive after the flight.

Reason we are flying to Miami this time was the cost of flights (saved over £800) we usually fly from Manchester to Orlando but this time London to Miami.

Not looking forward to long queues at the airport.

Thanks

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by junior View Post
    Hi Katys Gradad

Flight gets in about 4pm so we have booked a hotel for the night as I did not want a 4-5hr drive after the flight.

Reason we are flying to Miami this time was the cost of flights (saved over £800) we usually fly from Manchester to Orlando but this time London to Miami.

Not looking forward to long queues at the airport.

Thanks
    I think you've made a good decision there.

Not my intention to put you off MIA but maybe better that you know it might be a bit of a pain. Hopefully not!!

Just came back from Miami, we also had booked a SUV intermediate, however depending how many are going ? there was three of us all with large cases we decided to upgrade anyway as we knew we were going to be doing a lot of driving. The full size was only large enough in the boot for 3 large cases plus hand luggage ! they will send you downstairs and there is a person waiting for you, no keys will be given to you, you will be shown where the cars are and they will say take your pick the keys are inside ready for you. Just drive off and keep agreement, passports, license ready in the front ready as you leave the parking lot.

Have a fab trip going back Feb for some winter sunshine using Alamo again,

P.S you have pay for your tolls in advance so make sure you have to purchase the Sun Plus and make sure you go through them at the tolls, have seen lots of people complaining about them paying lots of money after they have come home, did over 1,700 miles down to key west, Gulf coast, Orlando then back down to Miami not one problem and no extras on top.