Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to start?

Florida Newbie
    Thanks guys.
    Off Villas, what airlines would you advise? Price is a factor but obviously with such a long flight and 5 kids I don't mind paying a bit more for more comfort.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemmasteele84 View Post
    Thanks guys.
    Off Villas, what airlines would you advise? Price is a factor but obviously with such a long flight and 5 kids I don't mind paying a bit more for more comfort.
    Main choice is between a direct flight to Orlando (Virgin from Manchester/London, BA from Gatwick or charters like Thomas Cook) or other (mainly US) airlines with a connection somewhere in the USA. Direct flights tend to be more expensive, sometimes by quite a bit so with a large party you could make very significant savings.

As far as comfort is concerned, my view is that there's nothing to distinguish 1 airline's economy product from another but they're all tolerable.

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    If you are travelling around the October half term the flight prices, whoever you fly with, will be much more expensive.
    Lyn

Florida Newbie
    No we're bad parents, we're taking them out of school. lol Couldn't even hope to afford it otherwise

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Where are you flying from? It is cheaper to do an indirect flight but for your first time you might prefer a direct flight although it will be costlier
    The roads are much bigger and i find driving easier even in a 15 seater

Florida Newbie
    We're in the East Midlands but could fly from here, any London or Bimingham. Probably only go from London though don't they.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemmasteele84 View Post
    Thanks so much Are gated communities necessary? I always thought that was for high crime areas. You're right enough I keep seeing 192 mentioned but wasn't sure what it was. is it a street with lots on like the I-drive?
    Took me almost a year to plan and book a holiday to Disneyland Paris so glad I have time to plan all this! lol.
    We are not gated and have had no security problems in the 8 years we have had the villa.
    As far as the direction the pool faces, it also matters how close your villa is to other villas as they can shade your pool. Our pool does face north, but as we only have bungalows either side of us and nothing behind - just our large garden it still gets plenty of sun even in October, just partly shaded early and late in the day. Insisting on a south facing pool will cut out 3/4 of the villas.

Sue
    Last edited by Gerry Reed; 17-05-2013 at 16:07.
    Gerry and Sue

Florida Savvy
    Also, when looking for a villa, decide if you want privacy in the pool area. Many villas are literally back-to back, with only the pool screen and a bit of grass between. We always choose one with no other properties overlooking the rear and with privacy hedging between adjacent villas. Think about pool heating, it is an extra cost, but is necessary for many people, especially during the early or late months; personally, we always have it, whatever time of year because we like a comfortable, rather than "refreshing" swim. Do you want a spa as well as a pool? When you short-list your villas, compare the photographs with Google Earth to find the exact property, then you can see its direction, and proximity of neighbours or main roads etc. also its' closeness to shops. parks etc. I agree with previous comments about pool orientation and always select a South facing pool because we often use it in the morning or evening as we are usually out during the day.
    Scorpio

Super Moderator
    We flew into Tampa on BA last Saturday and found the prices were considerably cheaper than flying into Orlando. Tampa is a nice airport (although presently undergoing a face lift) but the immigration queue was much quicker than the 90 minutes we queued at MCO at the end of November. We were completely through and in our car within the hour and it is then an easy drive across on the I4

The charters mostly fly into Sanford, which is a great airport, and premium on many definitely gives the scheduled airlines a run for their money.
    Dawn Murray