Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife Just got flight price from charter travel for October 2014

Florida Newbie

Wife Just got flight price from charter travel for October 2014

My wife inquired with charter travel for flights they just sent her a price for October 2014 traveling 15th to the 29th flight drive with virgin that 2 adults and child 6 years old flights and intermediate car the price is £2369 is this a good or over the odds we will be looking at flying with virgin when we go I think as they seem to start the magic off for the kids on the way

That's almost identical to this years pricing. As airlines don't release their prices until about 11 months prior I guess that's what they're quoting their prices on. It could be about £400 cheaper with indirect flights.
    Keith

Florida Chatterbox
    We fly this October and booked last December for £570 adult and £520 child plus car. There are 10 of us going but to calculate it for yours it works out at £2100 for flights and car including full insurance unlike your 'free' car could be with Virgin Holidays.

Not a bad price so far in advance and can't see you saving a fortune however long you wait. Our flights have never been cheaper than the price we paid.
    Garry Pullan

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by syrup View Post
    That's almost identical to this years pricing. As airlines don't release their prices until about 11 months prior I guess that's what they're quoting their prices on. It could be about £400 cheaper with indirect flights.
    Charter Travel do so much business with Virgin that they are a "preferred" supplier and get an allocation in advance so they know how many seats they can sell and at what price.
    Babblin Boo

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by syrup View Post
    I don't know whether it's over the odds or not for Virgin but it does sound like an awful lot of money, especially as you might find yourself paying extras on the car rental. I agree that there are big savings to be made by using a connecting flight and renting your car independently.

I always book direct with the airline because because these days agents can rarely better their fares and are very often more expensive. You also tend to be better looked after if things go wrong.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 14-05-2013 at 11:41.

Florida Savvy
    Quote Originally Posted by Katys Grandad View Post
    I don't know whether it's over the odds or not for Virgin but it does sound like an awful lot of money, especially as you might find yourself paying extras on the car rental. I agree that there are big savings to be made by using a connecting flight and renting your car independently.

I always book direct with the airline because because these days agents can rarely better their fares and are very often more expensive. You also tend to be better looked after if things go wrong.
    ..but what if the airlines goes bust?
    Pete
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/Villas/1593.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by steph_goodrum View Post
    Charter Travel do so much business with Virgin that they are a "preferred" supplier and get an allocation in advance so they know how many seats they can sell and at what price.
    I understand that Steph but I have enquired with them before and they told me it would be an estimated cost not a guaranteed cost as no one can foresee what could happen with regards fuel, and also flight taxes as the government keeps putting them up. The seat would be guaranteed because as you say they get an allocation from Virgin. Also that the deposit would be fully refundable if I didn't like the final cost.

As it turned out I was able to do it cheaper myself nearer the time. But I can understand people booking well in advance for peace of mind.
    Last edited by syrup; 14-05-2013 at 17:27.
    Keith

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteF View Post
    ..but what if the airlines goes bust?
    Point taken but when was the last time a major international airline failed to meet its obligations or their passengers lost out? In any event, airline failure insurance is literally a couple of pounds to buy and payment by credit card gives pretty good protection.

My reference to things going wrong was really about during the trip. My experience has been that the airline will deal with those who booked directly first or, worst, refer those who didn't to deal throgh the agent.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 14-05-2013 at 20:03.

Gold 5 Star Member
    One advantage of an agent is that you dont have to pay the full amount upfront, often almost a year in advance.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Newbie
    Thanks guys for all the help all very interesting and helpful