Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: US 734/US 735 - Can you miss the connection?

Gold 5 Star Member
    I've never flown US Airways but I have elite status with AA so I expect that to be matched by US when the merger happens. I do find the transatlantic carriers to be much of a muchness but it will at least open up new routing opportunities which I'm looking forward to trying.

With the odd exception, I've noticed that US seem to receive positive reviews from OV members.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 11-05-2013 at 00:41.

Florida Chatterbox
    We have just returned from Florida using the flights you asked about. We found the connection times on both the outward and also inward journey really tight. With delays in immigration meant that they were just about to close the gate,but we did make the flight. We honestly thought on the return flights home there wouldn't be a problem as all we had to do was get off the one aircraft and go the gate for the next flight. The problem was the gates couldn't have been further apart and we had a very brisk walk the full length of the airport and as we arrived at the gate they were boarding. There was no time at all to stop, look or even consider buying anything at all, time was so tight. I think if we did this route again I would consider an earlier flight out of Orlando to Philadelphia, but we didn't miss the flights.

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Linda r View Post
    We have just returned from Florida using the flights you asked about. We found the connection times on both the outward and also inward journey really tight. With delays in immigration meant that they were just about to close the gate,but we did make the flight. We honestly thought on the return flights home there wouldn't be a problem as all we had to do was get off the one aircraft and go the gate for the next flight. The problem was the gates couldn't have been further apart and we had a very brisk walk the full length of the airport and as we arrived at the gate they were boarding. There was no time at all to stop, look or even consider buying anything at all, time was so tight. I think if we did this route again I would consider an earlier flight out of Orlando to Philadelphia, but we didn't miss the flights.

Linda
    You are right, Linda, there is a VERY long walk from where the domestic flight arrives to where the Transatlantic flight departs in Philadelphia. At Christmas, flying with US, we had a reasonable amount of time but even so we had to run the last bit as they were starting to board. It is much easier at Charlotte, as there is not so far to walk.
    ellie

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda r View Post

Linda
    Couldn't agree more Linda, we missed our outbound connection (although out luggage made it) and coming back they were putting last calls out for us. As you say the walk from one gate to the next is some distance apart. This year I have allowed 4hrs+ each way. Last year we only had 56 mins on the return leg and US insisted that would be no problem but a 20 min delay leaving Tampa meant we almost missed. Philly is a good airport and a drink and meal in one of the bars will make the time fly.

Quote Originally Posted by vickk View Post
    Philly is a good airport and a drink and meal in one of the bars will make the time fly.
    Absolutely. We eat in Chickie's and Pete's. It's only a few yards from the gate, the food is good and they make a great martini. We look forward to it as our last US fix of the holiday.
    Last edited by Tonish; 11-05-2013 at 10:39. Reason: grammar
    Tonish

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonish View Post
    Absolutely. We eat in Chickie's and Pete's. It's only a few yards from the gate, the food is good and they make a great martini. We look forward to it as our last US fix of the holiday.
    Will look out for it this time. Don't remember what the place was called we used last year only that it had a bar and did a great pulled pork barbie sandwich

Gold 5 Star Member
    We did have the flight held on one occasion because a high percentage of the passengers on the Orlando flight were passengers on the UK flight also so they held it on that occasion.
    Jan&Steve

Thank you all for all the replies.
    I am very ​ familiar with Philadelphia airport having used US Airways for three of our trips, each one with ridiculously long waits between flights. We have spent many hours exploring the place, and all agree that it's a great food court there.
    I'm disappointed to read that these flights aren't linked in the way I was hoping. Also disturbed by your reports of AA managing to separate a group of 6 into 6 individuals. If US and AA are going to start sharing flights from Manchester then I can imagine next Easter being chaos if both airlines take bookings now.
    On one occasion coming home from Orlando with US Airways, when we got to the gate at PHL we were told that a computer failure had lost all pre-booked seats and the seven of us were all split up. I had a lovely peaceful trip home!!

I'll keep debating how we get there next April, expect more questions!
    Dave.

Florida Chatterbox
    Just to point out, it's US who are treating us as 6 individuals and that's because the discount codes they gave last year are used as the booking ref this time. We are all sat together at the moment but when they make a change to the flights then the system sees 6 booking ref numbers and nothing links them together.

3 times now I have had to log on 6 separate times to move us back together. US tell me there is no way to link the ref numbers together, all is fine at the moment though a bit of a pain. Problem will come if they make a change late on when there is not the number of free seats to move us back together. They say we can all check in as a group at the airport which I find strange if the system has us a single bookings.

At the end of the day £150 discount off each ticket was worth while taking and in general I found US ok last year

Thank you for clarifying. Having re-read your posting that does make sense now.

We once received $150 vouchers each following a delay (I THINK it was AA but can't remember exactly) but they were only valid on telephone bookings. When I phoned to book my flights they were £150 more than the on-line flights, so using the discount vouchers made the flights more expensive! I did explain this to the guy on the phone, but he wouldn't budge on price so I threw the vouchers in the recycling bin.
    Dave.