Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Easter 2014 Flights - Scary Prices

Easter 2014 Flights - Scary Prices

Hi all, not so much a question this, more a rant!

Whilst impatiently waiting for the major airlines to release their flights for next Easter, I had a look at the "holiday" airlines. Monarch just don't seem to come up with any flights ever (which has me puzzled) but Thomas Cook and Thomson both have their flights on sale. Can't remember which was which but one was coming out at just over £1000 return and the other at just over £1200 return. The dearer one has the Boeing Dreamliner. Good for them.

Of course if you don't want to take any luggage and take a packed lunch those prices drop by around £100 per person.

I had a very restless night after seeing those prices. We just won't be able to afford to get there if these are going to be typical price-tags.
    Dave.

Don't you just wonder where they get their prices from? Not sure what dates you are tied to for Easter 2014 but I do know that if you were travelling to Florida just after the Easter weekend this year you could get flights for under £300 (plus the luggage charge) - but you had to wait to book very last minute.

We are looking at flights for November this year but they are still a ridiculous price. Will sit tight and keep watching prices.

School Hols next year are April 5th - 19th.

My wife's colleagues are already suggesting she bunks off for the last day of term to avoid those prices!!
    Dave.

My Easter guests next year are taking their children out of school a week early arriving 28th March and staying for three weeks.
    This way they made a considerable saving on their flights.
    Barbara

The problem is that the airlines are fully aware that Local Authorities are clamping down harder and harder on parents taking children out of school for holidays. Therefore they know that they have an even more 'captive' market and can pretty much charge what they like.

As a parent you now have to weigh up whether the fine you have to pay is covered by the saving in fares, and it usually is by a long way.
    Graham

With two teachers in the family it is slightly more delicate
    Dave.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I do sympathise as it's been some time since I had to be mindful of school holidays and I wouldn't have been in a position to pay those type of fares when I was. To be honest, I'm astonished that there are families who can pay it these days.

On the other hand, it's hard to blame the airlines if they can fill their planes with those who are prepared to part with that sort of money.

What will happen if Mr. M Grove esq. gets his way & reduces school holidays ???
    (Retorical question - we already know the answer )
    Absolutely love the way "codeshares" & "alliances" have significantly reduced the competition between airlines. plus the way charter flights are on to a good thing by rapidly increasing the cost of baggage [!]....
    Looking foreward to the day when there's just one carrier - VIRBACON & folks, a "con" it certainly will be.............

Florida Newbie
    Fly from europe, Amsterdam or Belgium usually offer good prices, that way you avoid the UK airport duty!

I've travelled business class from AMS on BA connecting at LHR for the same price as an economy seat on the same flight from heathrow before!

Well the Virgin Atlantic flights for next Easter were released yesterday, at £1350 for adults, and around £1100 for kids. I won't be flying with them.
    Dave.