Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your views

Florida Chatterbox

Your views

Hi everyone, just want to ask people's views on this matter. We are coming to Orlando next August 2014, I know that this is one of the most expensive times to visit but dates are fixed because of work. There will be 5 adults and 2 children, 1 aged 2 and a half and 1 aged 16 months. Ideally we are looking to fly direct because it's easier but I think we may be able to get cheaper flights by going indirect, although I don't fancy the hassle with 2 little ones in tow!! We are not too bothered where we fly into, either MCO, Sandford or Tampa, don't want to come via Miami though. I know it's a matter of opinion but what do you think? The indirect flights I've looked at don't seem to have much time to get from A to B for connecting flights and I know that OH will get stressed lol.
    Look forward to reading your thoughts.
    Kind regards
    Margaret

We've used both direct & indirect flights over the years since our children were young. Frankly, really not much difference hastle-wise....
    A direct flight will be the most expensive ( either scheduled or charter these days! ) but may be the most convenient ??
    Indirect has the advantage that you will "do" customs & immigration at first airport in U.S. which will usually mean a much shorter queue as you won't be landing at a "tourist" destination.... When you land in Florida, you'll just need to collect luggage & go, putting you at the front of the car-hire Q.
    IMO The stress of a 2 hour wait for immigration followed by an hour in the car hire Q flying direct just matches the stress of an indirect flight but, at least, when you finally land there's less of a wait !!!
    Last edited by msmiff; 06-05-2013 at 09:09.

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    Personally I would fly into Tampa - indirect or direct. We are located just off I4 junc 55 and it takes the Same amount of time to drive from Tampa as it does from Sanford. MCO is our nearest airport but by far the busiest. If it was 2 adults and 2 children I would say go direct, but with 5 of you it is possible to look after the children and all the baggage.
    Yes August is towards the most expensive time of year, but does tend to be cheaper than Easter and Christmas as you don't require pool heating. The later you can leave it in August the less busy it will be.
    Christine

We always fly indirect and have tried a couple of different routes but our favourite is Heathrow to Dulles (Washington) then onto either Orlando or Tampa. We use United airlines and for August this year their schedule is as follows - the reason we like this route is that the second flight usually takes less than 2 hours (listed as 2 hours 10 minutes, but always seems to land early) we've also gone via Chicago but the flight from there is over 3 hours and that extra hour seems to drag!

London to Washington
    1. UA123 departs 7.55 lands 11.20
    2. UA919 departs 12.00 lands 15.05
    3. UA131 departs 13.05 lands 16.45
    4. UA925 departs 16.20 lands 19.30

then from Washington to Orlando there are 3 flights that it is possible to connect with

1. UA778 departs 12.30 lands 14.41
    2. UA419 departs 17.17 lands 19.44
    3. UA1471 departs 21.59 lands 00.20

Or from Washington to Tampa

1. UA1429 departs 18.57 lands 21.21
    2. UA727 departs 22.10 lands 00.30

We have flown dozens of times on the first flight out of London and always managed to connect with the first flight from Washington, it only gives you an hour and 10 minutes on the ground however, we find that the flight always seems to land at least 10 or 15 minutes early and we always seem to be the only International flight landing at Dulles at that time, many of the passengers are US citizens so the queue for immigration is usually pretty quick. If for some reason you missed your connection they would just push you onto the next flight out.

However if you're not comfortable with such a quick turnaround, there's nothing to stop you booking the later connection from the get go.

We've tried all the flights out of London on this route and not had a problem with the connection, recently we've started opting for the last flight as it means we arrive at the villa around 1am and go straight to bed which we finds helps with adjusting our body clocks but with 2 little ones I think I'd opt for the 1st or 2nd flight from London and then the 2nd flight from Washington.

The big advantage to flying indirect is clearing customs and immigration at your first port of entry so that when you arrive in Florida it's on a domestic flight so you grab your luggage and go! From getting off the plane, and walking into the villa our best time was under an hour! But is regularly an hour and 10 minutes.

Let me know if you'd like the return flight details, but you shouldn't have a problem with any of their listed routes as on the return leg your luggage is checked all the way through to London and you literally get off the first flight walk down the terminal and get onto the second.
    Caroline & Dave

Gold 5 Star Member
    When you're making a comparison, don't just look at the outbound flight to base your decision on. I think you have some very good advice already but also factor in the time of the return departure, length of journey in total and, if you live a longish drive home from the arriving airport, how you'll feel about that at the time.

Would also suggest considering US Airways flights via Charlotte. It is a much smaller airport and very easy to negotiate, and a short walk from arrival terminal to domestic gate. Immigration also seems quick and easy. There are also handy eateries available when you arrive in Charlotte which is handy if you have children.

The great advantage, as has already been mentioned, is that you do immigration when you are less tired, and then walk off the plane in Orlando.

However, I would not want to book a flight with a very short turnaround. Whilst everything may go to plan, if your flight is delayed for any reason, then the added stress of not knowing whether you will catch your connection is not great. Whilst you will hopefully be put on the next flight if you do miss your connection, by booking a flight with a slightly longer gap you will not have to be rushing about.

A short turn around in the return flight is not such an issue as you don't have to pick up your luggage, as all you have to do is just walk to your gate.
    ellie

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks for all your replies, I knew I would get some great feedback
    Margaret

I agree with Ellie. We did US via Charlotte last year. Great little airport and cleared immigration in 10 min flat. 2 hour stop over then down to Orlando. We arrived behind virgin flight and actually stood in the car rental with them due to taking an hour to get through immigration at Orlando. Cost £534 each, almost £300 cheaper than virgin.
    Dominic & Melanie Graham

Gold 5 Star Member
    We fly indirect more often than not, being tied to school holidays. We have connected in Newark and Charlotte mostly.
    Jan&Steve

Florida Expert
    I will give another vote for Charlotte, nice airport, similar in feel to Tampa
    Clare R