Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi all after some advice be for we book our trip

Florida Newbie

Hi all after some advice be for we book our trip

​Hi all I'm just after some advice feed back we are looking at tacking our 5 year old to Disney Florida next October I just have one or to questions I worked out that the flight times are only put our 11 months in advance but some off the villas have price for 2014 out so do I book villa first or flight ? Also which is best airline with best baggage allowance and best why to book tickets ? As I had a look at virgin tickets for October this year and the price was over £5000 for 3 off us return thanks for looking Alan

Hi Alan,
    Wow what a price for flights via Virgin, personally I would book your villa and then start looking for flights. Throughout the year airlines do have offers and that is the time to book. Also indirect flights are nothing to worry about you do clear customs in the first airport and once you arrive in Orlando all you have to do is collect your luggage and off you go and we have often travelled with our grandchildren on indirect flights and have never found it a problem. Charter flights into Sanford is also another option. Most of the larger airlines offer a reasonable luggage allowance and it is not the out flight that luggage is a problem but the return when you have exhausted all the Malls.
    Val

Hi Alan,welcome to OV forum. We have plenty of members who will be able to advice you concerning your flights and a villa for your holiday.

I assume you are planning to visit in the half-term break in October 2014? If this is correct then unfortunately the flights will be more expensive at the time of the year.You could save money if you are prepared to have a stop for a few hours during your journey from the UK to Florida. I suggest to go online and research flights to Orlando. from the UK. I understand this can be time consuming but it does enable you to get the best price. .Flight prices vary all the time, also most major airlines do have sales throughout the year

Regarding your question concerning booking a villa or your flights first.If your dates are strict for your holiday and you have found a villa that you love I would reserve your accommadation as soon as you can. Many Florida homes will be reserved for October2014 by now.. On the otherhand there is no need to panic you will have have plenty of choice even if you wait six months

All down to personal choice if you like to be organised and tick your list of requirements early then go ahead and reserve your villa .and then book your flights as soon as you can.

Enjoy planning your holiday all part and parcel of the excitement.

Good luck.
    Last edited by luckylady; 21-04-2013 at 12:06.
    Barbara

I was recently doing a search for flights and found Thomson flights into Sanford were reasonable; checked in luggage is chargeable at £70 per 20kg with an option of an additoinal 5kg at £20 and you pay for food too unless you opt for their Premium Service which is available on most of their Sanford flights and includes these optional extras. Sanford airport is about an extra 30 minutes drive but quite an easy journey. Although October 2014 flights will not be available to purchase for a few months its worth taking a look at 2013 prices to give you a comparison. We will definitely be giving Thomson a lot of thought when planning our next visit.

There are flights from the UK to Tampa, Miami and West Palm Beach, although driving times will take considerably longer to get to your accommodation in the Orlando area.

I hope this has been of help and wish you happy holiday planning :-)

Super Moderator
    We have found that although Virgin have increased their hand luggage allowance to 10kg it has more size restrictions than BA. With regards to airports we have always found Tampa to be more 'child friendly' than Orlando although it is not so large it does still have the convenience of car hire being on site. Although Tampa is further from 'the mouse' it is an easy journey across to the villas. When renting a car with young children who are in car seats it is a good idea to take their own seats with you on the flights as they will be used to their own seats - think all the airlines let you take a car seat for a child without any charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ads View Post
    I had a look at virgin tickets for October this year and the price was over £5000 for 3 off us return thanks for looking Alan
    I too found your quote very expensive. I had a look at B/A for the last two weeks in October this year which includes half term (here anyway) and direct flights for two adults and one child came to £3,075, for indirect flights via Miami it came to £2,167.

I would also book the villa first as I think that is a priority, the earlier the better. Once you have the dates for the villa you can book your flights once they become available for booking or wait to see if there is a sale.
    Keith

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but we always book our flights first on the basis of if you can't get there it's no use having a lovely villa you can't use. Last minute tweaking of departure days when on the flight booking sites can make a vast difference to the price, and with INSET days often added on to school holidays enabling the kids to either start or finish the break a day earlier or later, then it may be that you want to fly out on a Friday. Checking the Local Authority website can usually reveal the following year's holiday calenders and specific school websites should (one would hope in this Internet Age) publish the planned INSET days.
    I should add that we always book the flights within days of them going on sale so there's still nearly 11 months to choose a villa.
    Last edited by Dads_Taxi; 21-04-2013 at 17:56.
    Dave.

Gold 5 Star Member
    It really is very early to be booking anything at this stage and, as you have discovered, nobody can book flights for several months anyway.

I've been holidaying in Florida for almost 20 years and must have booked over 60 trips and literally 100's of flights and never book more than a few months in advance. I haven't encountered any problems at all doing that. If you were an exceptionally large party or needed something out of the ordinary then I would say that you should be narrowing your search but as you are a family of 3 you'll have absolutely no problems finding flights and accommodation nearer the date.

Out of curiosity, I've just done a date availability search on the OV App for October half term 2013. It returned no fewer than 166 results.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 21-04-2013 at 18:17.

Dave,

I somewhat agree but I think a major factor is when you go, as some villas are booked well more than twelve months in advance. My son is going with his family August 2014 and booked the villa he wanted last August so he wouldn't be disappointed. He is glad he did as both sides of his dates are now booked.

As you say one day before or after your planned departure can really affect the price. It's is a very difficult choice to make.
    Last edited by syrup; 21-04-2013 at 19:40.
    Keith

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    Quote Originally Posted by Funshine View Post
    I was recently doing a search for flights and found Thomson flights into Sanford were reasonable; checked in luggage is chargeable at £70 per 20kg with an option of an additoinal 5kg at £20 and you pay for food too unless you opt for their Premium Service which is available on most of their Sanford flights and includes these optional extras. Sanford airport is about an extra 30 minutes drive but quite an easy journey. Although October 2014 flights will not be available to purchase for a few months its worth taking a look at 2013 prices to give you a comparison. We will definitely be giving Thomson a lot of thought when planning our next visit.
    in the Orlando area
    :-)
    We have flown with Thomson to Sanford several times over the past 2 years, the later you can leave it the better the price, you do pay extra for your luggage but you do get a meal on the flight.
    Lyn