Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Queuing at immigration

Florida Chatterbox

Queuing at immigration

Hi, we are going to Orlando in August 2014, we will be travelling with our daughter, son in law and (by then) 2 grandchildren. I know how funny the people at immigration can be and I need to find out how we should go through immigration. Although we are obviously traveling together, should we go through together or as 2 families? I'm sure someone on here will be able to advise me !!
    Margaret

When we went with our son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren in 2011 and had to fill out the white immigration forms on the plane, we were told one form would do for all of us as we had the same surname, but on going through immigration they asked us if we all lived at the same address and we said no, and were told to fill out a forms for each family as we do not reside together. We then had to go back and redo the forms. They did let us go to the front of the line once we done this which was a relief.
    Last edited by syrup; 04-04-2013 at 08:11.
    Keith

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by syrup View Post
    When we went with our son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren in 2011 and had to fill out the white immigration forms on the plane, we were told one form would do for all of us, but on going through immigration they asked us if we all lived at the same address and we said no, and were told to fill out a forms for each family as we do not reside together. We then had to go back and redo the forms. They did let us go to the front of the line once we done this which was a relief.
    The address requirement has pretty much always been there but the officers appear to have a degree of discretion. We used to take my elderly mother (who didn't live with us) to the US and always went through together without any real problem. I'd be surprised if they showed that degree of flexibility for 2 different families though.

We have always filled out one white 'customs' form for each address even although we have the same surname and were told that was the correct thing to do. At immigration you can all queue together but probably quicker if you go to separate booths when you get to the head of the queue (one long queue serving all booths and you get sent to the next available booth when you get to the front of the queue) as it takes a while to photograph and fingerprint each member of the family - they don't do this for the elderly, I think it is over 75.
    If any of your party have 'wheel chair assistance' (my elderly mum does this) they will be taken through a fast track queue and we usually find they allow the rest of the group to go with them.

Sue
    Gerry and Sue

Gold 5 Star Member
    I don't think it's correct that people living at different addresses should go through the immigration channel together irrespective of whether they are the same family. I do now that a lot of officials allow it (and probably don't know the addresses anyway) but, technically, it's against the rules. Either way, it is better to split the group to get through a bit quicker.

The age limit relates to those over 79 years old.

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    My son will be travelling with his partner and 2 children, they have a different surname to him but they all live at the same address, will they need just one immigration form?
    Lyn

Mr M and I have different Surnames but live at the same address, we have been told to complete 2 immigration forms and on a separate occasion told we only need one. So now we compete 2, present them both and let the customs official decide, last year he ripped the spare one up
    Diane.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
    My son will be travelling with his partner and 2 children, they have a different surname to him but they all live at the same address, will they need just one immigration form?
    i think we might be getting confused here.

You no longer have to complete an "Immigration Form" which was a green card document and used pre-ESTA. Thankfully, that's gone but there is still a white CUSTOMS form that should be completed 1 per family group. Generally, 1 Customs form per family group will suffice but as Diane has pointed out, there seems to be some inconsistency.

I would be very surprised if a group like your son's would need 2 but the form is easy to complete again if they run into problems.

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks for all your replies, I had forgotten about having to fill in the white forms !!
    Margaret

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    Yes sorry, I meant the customs form.
    Lyn