Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Best looking course

Florida Chatterbox

Best looking course

Going out to Florida again in October/November and we are taking some first timers, one of whom wants to play golf.

I'd like him to experience a typically American course that looks the best...not necessarily the best course to play as he plays off 20 and might not appreciate a tough track, but one that looks great.

I've played lots of times and at the moment i'm thinking of going back to Celebration for the drives through the estates and the holes over water etc..... Any advance on Celebration??

I don't mind going back to somewhere i've played as long as it's ok for him.

Thanks
    Garry Pullan

Gold 5 Star Member
    I don't play but wasn't the one at the Omni designed by Greg Norman or one of the other top golfers? A player may have the best idea for a good course to play on and look at? Or one of the Disney ones?
    Babblin Boo

Florida Savvy
    Quote Originally Posted by gpullan View Post
    Going out to Florida again in October/November and we are taking some first timers, one of whom wants to play golf.

I'd like him to experience a typically American course that looks the best...not necessarily the best course to play as he plays off 20 and might not appreciate a tough track, but one that looks great.

I've played lots of times and at the moment i'm thinking of going back to Celebration for the drives through the estates and the holes over water etc..... Any advance on Celebration??

I don't mind going back to somewhere i've played as long as it's ok for him.

Thanks
    Played here a few years ago in June & November - had a late morning 4 ball in November and there was just one other group on the course (some sno-birds) - in June we had the place to ourselves - mad dogs and englishmen...! The island is a nature reserve so if your ball goes in the water/woods you should definitely take your medicine! I play off 28 (on a good day!) so I'm sure your mates will enjoy it. It's about 45 minutes from the main drag but well worth it

http://www.deerislandgolf.com/index.html
    Pete
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/Villas/1593.aspx

Florida Savvy
    Falcond Fire always looks in good condition and is a very nice course, so is Mystic Dunes and Diamond Back to name but a few.

For looks alone I would suggest Celebration, Falcons Fire or Championsgate National Course. There are some great looking holes on Southern Dunes too but where to take a 20 handicapper? That's a good question.
    Regards, Mark

Florida Newbie
    Diamondback is as tough as it gets, it would destroy a high handicapper and he probably wouldn't enjoy it. The thing with Florida is the water hazards,you can lose plenty of balls if you don't hit it straight, Southern Dunes is inundated with bunkers but has very little water and is beautifully maintained. I take my son there, he's a beginner and it's a lot harder to lose a ball there than many other top courses. You want to enjoy your golf and struggling isn't enjoyable, leave diamondback well alone off a 20 handicap.
    Last edited by Murph; 12-03-2013 at 17:00.

Florida Savvy
    Quote"Diamondback is as tough as it gets, it would destroy a high handicapper and he probably wouldn't enjoy it. The thing with Florida is the water hazards,you can lose plenty of balls if you don't hit it straight, Southern Dunes is inundated with bunkers but has very little water and is beautifully maintained. I take my son there, he's a beginner and it's a lot harder to lose a ball there than many other top courses. You want to enjoy your golf and struggling isn't enjoyable, leave diamondback well alone off a 20 handicap. "

I have to disagree, 8 of us played there a couple of years ago ranging from a one handicappper to a 28+ and all of us agreed it was one of the best courses we have played in Florida and all of us would love to play it again, i think we paid around $30 which included lunch so fantastic value. If you are worried about water dont go to Ridgewood Lakes !!!!

Obviously I would recommend Southern Dunes! It is well maintained and we have taken low, high and even no-handicappers there and all have loved it. It is a bit pricey to play during the winter but the twilight and summer rates are good.

Clubhouse is great - and has a happy hour (just in case you are a little thirsty after your round!!!)

Highland Reserve is the place for you if you are playing with a 20 handicapper , that's a generous place to start and very reasonable compared to the rest of the courses mentioned . U do want ur friend to try and break 100 lol