Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Going to Memphis for the day.....??

Going to Memphis for the day.....??

Hello all

We have guests visiting in late August who want to fly to Memphis (Graceland) for a day trip and have asked if we have any tips or tricks that might be useful for such an enterprise?
    I have no idea how easy (or otherwise) it would be to do this so ANYTHING that anyone has to offer would be gratefully received!!

Many thanks.
    Alison and Danny

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    We stayed a couple of nights in Memphis last summer. Here are a few observations:

- We did not think much of Graceland. We're not big Elvis fans (a bit too young for the era) so maybe that was the issue, but it was too much like a money making machine with all manner of optional extras you could buy. The 'mansion' was a lot smaller than we were expecting too (butt then so is Southfork Ranch off the Dallas TV program). I would not go back again, but am (sort of) glad we did visit.

- The highlight of the stay was a visit to the National Civil Rights Museum (http://www.civilrightsmuseum.org). If you go to one place in Memphis this has to be it. My emotions are not easily stirred but this moved me to tears with the history of everything being so vividly brought to life in front of your eyes.

- Beale Street looked like fun but we were with the children so could not really explore it or avail of the evening entertainment in the various bars, which I have to say looked really good. Some amazing live music coming out of most places and I'd imagine great fun to go to without children.

- We enjoyed the Gibson guitar factory tour, but we're a musical family so it might not suit everyone. You get a guided tour round the whole factory and get to see guitars being built, starting with a pile of wood and ending up with some guys test playing the new guitars before boxing them up.

- Some great southern style food is available from pretty much anywhere and all really nice.

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar
    Although physically possible to do in a day I wouldn't as you would be meeting your self coming back sort of thing.

We loved Memphis and are both Elvis fans (not my era either). However it is of course a bit commercial as mentioned and by today's standards Graceland is small but back in the day I am sure it was something else. His cars, plane and costumes etc. are all in a set up across the street. They give you a headset and you go round as a tour group sort of thing. It also covers the gardens and memorial/graves of the family.

The Lorraine Hotel was moving and I remember a lady called Jacqueline "picketing" outside and she had been there for years, an ex resident/employee who disagreed about what they were doing with it.

Beale Street is fabulous at night for sure, we spent every night down there when we were there.

You also have the sun studio tour.

We went at Memphis in May time 13 years ago. (Huge BBQ competition each year) and had some great BBQ as well as visiting all the famous haunts, we were there for 6 days and just about covered it all. There are some good old fashioned diners and lots of great Memphis style BBQ at famous places like Jim Neeleys Interstate and a few more.

We then headed off to Nashville, but that is another story!

So basically that is why I wouldn't recommend flying in and out on one day unless the single/only thing they want to see is Graceland.
    CDV

That's great - thanks for the information - I will pass it all on!!
    Alison and Danny

If they feel like staying somewhere different then suggest they google 'Peabody Memphis'

It's not cheap but I have stayed here a few times and they offer excellent service. The ducks in the lobby every day are fun but do try to go on the roof and have a look at their home.

Dave
    Dave Lewis

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar
    We also did the Peabody in Memphis but they can see the ducks cheaper in Orlando whilst they are here..lol!!!
    CDV