Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: International Driving Permit not required for holders of English driving licenses

Quote Originally Posted by steph_goodrum View Post
    It's going through process at the moment and should be signed off shortly. As it stands it is still law (it hasnt been suspended) but the enforcement agencies have said they will not enforce if you do not have one, as said though as it is still current law, the insurance company could say you were driving illegally if you couldnt produce one if asked. Technically though the hire car company would aslo be at fault for not checking you have the correct licence to drive in the US as well.

How will an IDP make my licence correct? surely it is my licence that entitles me to drive, all the permit would do is allow the authorities to understand my English written foreign licence.

Dave

Not sure if this helps or confuses the issue more but this was in our Home Owners Association newsletter the other day:
    INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT UPDATE
    Legislators in Florida have approved the bill repealing the law that requires foreign visitors to have International Driving Permits reported in last month’s newsletter.

The bill passed unanimously in the Florida House on 13th March 2013 and was passed to the Senate for approval.

Members of the Senate Community Affairs committee passed SB 1766 on 15th March to repeal the statute regarding driving requirements for international visitors. The bill has had the required number of readings and it will now be passed to the Governor Rick Scott for final approval. He is believed to support the repeal of this legislation

Transportation Committee Chairman, Senator Jeff Brandes (R-St. Petersburg) said, "This bill does more than correct an oversight in the law, it promotes tourism. Visitors from all over the globe choose Florida as their vacation destination and we want ensure they are able to travel across our state with ease."

VISIT FLORIDA announced earlier this month that according to preliminary estimates, tourists spent a record $71.8 Billion in 2012 marking a 6.8% increase in spending over 2011. Florida’s tourism industry is critical to Florida families as it serves as a vital source of revenue to the state and a key driver of employment.

It is good to see that common sense has prevailed.
    Alison and Danny

Last edited by sunseeker; 02-04-2013 at 19:24.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunseeker View Post
    How will an IDP make my licence correct? surely it is my licence that entitles me to drive, all the permit would do is allow the authorities to understand my English written foreign licence.

Dave
    Dave
    As far as the US or any other country, it's what they say that allows you to drive regardless. It was only because it was found to contravene the Geneva convention of 1949 where several countries allowed reciprocity to each other that it has/is been/being rescinded. When in any other Country if they make laws, regardless of how they come about and we want to visit , we have to follow them
    Babblin Boo

All signed off by Rick Scott so that is another matter all cleared up now!!![clap]

Gold 5 Star Member
    Given the outcome of all this, can the title of this thread be amended now?

I can see a new reader being initially concerned about it and having to plough through all the individual posts before realising that there actually isn't any "new requirement" after all.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 03-04-2013 at 03:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Katys Grandad View Post
    Given the outcome of all this, can the title of this thread be amended now?

I can see a new reader being initially concerned about it and having to plough through all the individual posts before realising that there actually isn't any "new requirement" after all.
    Good point! Done!
    Caroline & Dave

Gold 5 Star Member
    Thank you!!

Florida Expert
    Quick question about this.

Obviously i know i now don't need an IDP but is my old fashioned almost in tatters because it is over 20 years old paper driving licence without a photo bit still okay or do i have to bite the bullet and give the government £20.00 for new photo licence?

An old type licence is fine but you will need photo ID as well - ie your passport. That is what we used two weeks ago.

Sue
    Gerry and Sue