Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: International Driving Permit not required for holders of English driving licenses

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quickest bit of legislation to be deferred which I guess will be repealed
    Jan&Steve

Gold 5 Star Member
    You have to wonder how come the presumably highly paid Lawmakers in Florida that added it to the Statute didn't know about any possible conflict?
    Babblin Boo

Somehow the words "Brian Rix" & "Farce" come to mind......... [laugh][laugh][laugh]
    £16 down as of yesterday applying for 2 x completely irrelevent IDPs [!]
    Last edited by msmiff; 15-02-2013 at 14:49.

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by msmiff View Post
    Somehow the words "Brian Rix" & "Farce" come to mind......... [laugh][laugh][laugh]
    £16 down as of yesterday applying for 2 x completely irrelevent IDPs [!]
    You are not on your own, we are £16.00 down as well but I'm working on the theory that if they decide to retain this stupid statute we'll already have our IDP's and won't need to worry.

Florida Savvy
    the problem is at the momet it appears the police are ok to ignore it but its the rental companies that may be the problem, if i was going over in the next few eeks I would certainly still get an IDP for £5.50, I wouldnt want to be on that plane worrying that i may not be able to get my car !!!

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    Is the cost £5.50 or £8?

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
    Is the cost £5.50 or £8?
    Its £5.50 from the Post Office but not all PO do them and its £8.00 by post from the AA.

Some folks may have missed this update:

15 February 2013: Further update: It's confirmed an IDP is NOT required for car rentals in Florida

As per the news and advise from both the FCO and ABTA, the new law introduced in Florida has now been deferred, and customers no longer need to purchase an international drivers permit in order to drive a car in Florida. Please see below information as per the FCO website today.

"The State of Florida has suspended enforcement of a recently introduced driving law requiring non-resident drivers to be in possession of an International Driving Permit and a UK driving licence. Following the change, a valid UK driving licence, or licence issued by another foreign government or US State, is the only requirement for driving a car in Florida."

We will continue to closely monitor the situation, and in the event that this law is re-introduced at a further date, will again advise accordingly with as much notice as possible.

Thank God...common sense prevails!!

Gold 5 Star Member
    We are still probably getting one for April in case they decide in March that it is valid and can stand. for the sake of a few pounds we'd rather not have last minute panic. The law hasn't been suspended , just enforcement, if the legal team look at it and say it doesn't contravene the Geneva Convention, they may suddenly start to enforce it. They can't actually change it just yet i don't think till they next sit iin March.
    Babblin Boo