Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: International Driving Permit

Florida Expert
    Picked up ours this morning with no problem.

I know it's not currently going to be enforced whilst under review but I'm not giving the insurance companies any excuse in the unfortunate case I need to use them. If there is a loophole you can be sure they will use it!!
    Last edited by brizzle; 16-02-2013 at 14:14.

Post office told me this morning I had to have one, I told her this was no longer the case but we were getting one to be on the safe side, to which her answer was "you will need it"..............didn't have the energy to argue[msnsad]

Liz

Florida Expert gail and david roberts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurel Oak View Post
    One of my guests has just obtained one from the Post Office in Leeds so they are issuing them for Florida. It's puzzling why yours will not issue one.
    Thanks for the info
    we are out in May so a trip to Leeds next weekend
    best to be safe than sorry
    Last edited by gail and david roberts; 16-02-2013 at 15:56.
    Gail

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by gail and david roberts View Post
    Thanks for the info
    we are out in May so a trip to Leeds next weekend
    best to be safe than sorry
    Its the Post Office in the St John's Centre.

I think it is indeed best to be safe than sorry and £5.50 is not much to pay for peace of mind and closing any loopholes that may be exploited.

Eagle Pointe, Florida, & Swanland, East Yorkshire
    What an absolute farce this Florida IDP issue has become. You couldn't write it could you?

1)First legislation for Florida only, commenced 1st January 2013 but no one appears to know about it.

2)Then when it eventually leaks out in February panic.

3)Then an apparent suspension due to possible International legal issues.

4) Confusion from various departments both from USA and UK ie Post offices.

And this from one of the most powerful Nations in the World.

God help us all I say, lets hope the US are more organized when it comes to getting involved in foreign matters,......... oh sorry too late for that.
    Graham

Gold 5 Star Member
    Don't quite see hoe they can categorically say the Canadians don't need one as the law stands until changed surely?
    Babblin Boo

Just had this email from Charter Travel regarding the IDP :-

Charter Travel have been advised by ABTA that the Florida Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles, suspended the state’s recently enacted International Driving Permit requirement pending further study. International visitors who plan to drive in Florida now need only a valid driver’s license issued from their own country (both parts if applicable) and the a major credit card.

Here is the full statement from DHSMV:
    During the 2012 legislative session, the Florida Legislature amended section 322.04, Florida Statutes, to require visitors from outside the United States to have an International Driving Permit in order to drive lawfully in Florida. This change took effect Jan. 1, 2013.
    It has come to the Department’s attention that this requirement may violate the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949), an international treaty to which the United States is a signatory. Treaties to which the United States is a party pre-empt state laws in conflict with them.

Therefore, the Florida Highway Patrol will defer enforcement of violations of the amended statutory section until a final determination of the alignment of the amendment with the treaty can be made. Non-resident visitors to Florida who wish to drive while here will be required to have in their immediate possession a valid driver license issued in his or her name from another state or territory of the U.S. or from their country of residence. However, the FHP will not take enforcement action based solely on the lack of an International Driving Permit. The FCO have updated their travel advice to reflect this. Please see below:

Travel Summary
    The State of Florida has suspended enforcement of a recently introduced driving law requiring non-resident drivers to be in possession of an International Driving Permit and a UK driving licence. Following the change, a valid UK driving licence, or licence issued by another foreign government or US State, is the only requirement for driving a car in Florida.

View the travel advice in full here: www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/north-central-america/united-states

Hope it helps
    Wendy

Gold 5 Star Member
    "Therefore, the Florida Highway Patrol will defer enforcement of violations of the amended statutory section until a final determination of the alignment of the amendment with the treaty can be made"

This is the sticking point, if they decide this week it is "in alignment" then the can change the enforcement rule back again overnight.
    Babblin Boo

... and not just that, please remember that the local sheriffs do not answer to the state of Florida. There has been no statement by them to say that they will not enforce it. So while Florida Highway Patrol may not enforce it, the local sheriffs may.
    Euan

Florida Expert
    For those of us who travel the roads nearer the Gulf this has been posted this morning:-

SARASOTA COUNTY — In keep*ing with Thursday’s announce*ment by the Florida Depart*ment of High*way Safety and Motor Vehi*cles, the Sara*sota County Sheriff’s Office will not enforce a new state law requir*ing for*eign vis*i*tors to have an Inter*na*tional Dri*ving Per*mit while in Florida.
    Clare R