Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: International Driving Permit

Good grief - storm in a teacup or what......!!
    Last edited by DANESKA18; 15-02-2013 at 10:06. Reason: can't spell!!
    Alison and Danny

Crieky - will downgrade the rush to Swindon - phew!
    Jan and Lee

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DANESKA18 View Post
    Good grief - storm in a teacup or what......!!
    More likely someone writing something and not checking the consequence of what they have actually written and only reading it back as what they think they have written.

There is a posting on the FHP (Florida Highway Patrol) site stating that their officers will defer enforcing this law. It appears the legislature passed the law in contravention of the Geneva Convention (which supersedes state or country law). The Dept of Motor Vehicles is consulting with the legislature to amend the law but this won't happen before at least May 2013. In the meantime I have my permit just in case.

If I can find out this information I do think that US Car Hire could have done the same before emailing everyone!
    John
     Sent from my iMac

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    At the time we emailed everyone this information had not yet been made available or confirmed. If it had been then we'd obviously had let people know as we pride ourselves in supplying accurate information to our customers

Quote Originally Posted by appinlad;
    If I can find out this information I do think that US Car Hire could have done the same before emailing everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk View Post
    At the time we emailed everyone this information had not yet been made available or confirmed. If it had been then we'd obviously had let people know as we pride ourselves in supplying accurate information to our customers
    This information was available yesterday on their website.
    John
     Sent from my iMac

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    Not when we composed the email and travel industry advice at the time was to say exactly what we said. To do otherwise would risk giving out wrong advice as we have to err on the side of caution, especially on a rapidly changing situation like this.

Quote Originally Posted by appinlad View Post
    This information was available yesterday on their website.

Plus it also appears that there still may be a problem with insurance and injury claims if you have a crash and you don't have a IDP so that really needs clarification. Best to err on the side of caution with these ridiculous confusing laws! Glad I have a Florida Drivers License.

Just to point out that although the FHP will not enforce this law at the moment, there are hundreds of local sheriff offices that could and they don't answer to Florida State, but the local counties. I was listening to a CAA interview on a news radio station about it here today. They were still advising from that point of view that until the legislation was changed then it would be worthwhile considering taking the most prudent course and having the IDP.

They were also stating that the Canadian insurer's advisory body (whatever they are called) were strongly discouraging their members from denying insurance claims on the basis of this legislation (ie if you don't have an IDP then you aren't legal to drive in Florida so your insurance would be negated). They could not demand this of their members, though, only strongly request.
    Euan

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    The Post Office have pulled the issuing of the IDP for driving in Florida. Until there is affirmative action either way, they will not issue an IDP for Florida
    CERI