Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: International Driving Permit

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newhomebuyer View Post
    I am in Florida now and because of my length of stay will be changing my car on the 20th Feb . I do not leave Florida until the 27th March. What is the best way to obtain my IDP? Any ideas anyone? Is anyone else in a similar situation? I am quite worried about this situation.
    You could actually apply by post to the AA and keep a copy of your application, so it's there waiting when you get home. At leaset you have a paper trail then to show that as soon as you were aware you acted. Apparently you can post date it to start up to 3 months so will get one for our April trip sorted and if we get the timing right it might cover our next 3 trips.
    Babblin Boo

Quote Originally Posted by nordictat2 View Post
    Just remember...that not only Brits visit this site and it's not a wee fiver for the IDP elsewhere in Europe. For example here in Norway it's £35 per person! Now for 3 drivers (who now need to rush off and get these) that isn't exactly pocket change for us. :/
    It's funny to see how different countries charge different amounts. In The Netherlands it is € 18 and only valid for 1 year. Here in France the IDP is free of charge and valid for 3 years, so we are the lucky ones I guess :-)

Hi Roger,
    I saw on your FAQ page:

Do I need an International Driving License to Drive in the USA?

For non USA license holders, for rentals in Florida only, you must also have an International Driving Permit (IDP). An IDP can be obtained cheaply and easily from most Post Offices, or from your licensing authority.

As I understand it, it is also needed in the state of Georgia and not just Florida.

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    All future Florida bookings have now been emailed with details about the new IDP requirement.

For anyone concerned, you may have a maximum of 30 duplicate emails due to a glitch in the system. We tested and re-tested the email before it was sent too. Our apologies for the duplicate emails.

I've also added a new page to our website about the requirement (this link) and linked to it in an obvious place on our homepage, so all people visiting the site will be as aware of the new requirement as we can hope for.

Quote Originally Posted by letournerie View Post
    It's funny to see how different countries charge different amounts. In The Netherlands it is € 18 and only valid for 1 year. Here in France the IDP is free of charge and valid for 3 years, so we are the lucky ones I guess :-)
    You are lucky, here in Canada it is $25 and one year.
    Euan

I just got off the phone with an Alamo representative in the Orlando admin office and she told me that Canadians were fine as long as their drivers license have an expiry date. She also said that the UK License's have been changed that don't show an expiry date that is why they are requiring an International Permit with an expiry date. A little info.
    Randy Johnston

I have a new UK license and it shows an expiry date.

Quote Originally Posted by randyj View Post
    I just got off the phone with an Alamo representative in the Orlando admin office and she told me that Canadians were fine as long as their drivers license have an expiry date. She also said that the UK License's have been changed that don't show an expiry date that is why they are requiring an International Permit with an expiry date. A little info.

Florida Expert
    The new UK licences all have an expiry date on them because they are only valid for 10 years then you have to pay for a new one.
    Angela

I'm not sure what the rep meant, but said that the licenses had changed in the UK. the Number to Alamo Admin in Orlando is 1-407-825-1800 and Press #2 for Alamo then Press# 7 for office admin. if anybody wants to try.
    Randy Johnston

In Ireland ours have allways had an expiry date....so what's that about??