Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: International Driving Permit

International Driving Permit

Is it correct that as of 1st Jan 2013 you now need an IDP to drive in Florida?
    Lynne

They have explained on the other forum now and it does not include UK travellers it is something entirely different.

Florida Chatterbox
    Sorry to raise this agian as I thought it was clear but I have just received the following e-mail:

We have now had definitive clarification from the Deputy Communications Director of the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles and the situation is clear and quoted directly below:

"Customers that wish to drive in Florida without obtaining a Florida driver license will be required to have an International Driving Permit to accompany their out-of-country license. This applies to any vehicle, including rental vehicles. The International Driving Permit must be in the customer’s name and from their country of residence.

This is the information from the Florida Statutes:

322.04(c)(1)Persons exempt from obtaining driver license-

(c) A nonresident who is at least 16 years of age operating a motor vehicle of the type for which a Class E driver license is required in this state if the nonresident has in his or her immediate possession:

(2) An International Driving Permit issued in his or her name in his or her country of residence and a valid license issued in that country.

When did the law change, and why? January 1, 2013. The purpose of the permit is for the English translation. Obviously, a license issued in the UK is already written in English, so the permit is admittedly a little redundant but that is technically the law at this point.

What will happen to British drivers who drive without an IDP?

Without an IDP, a driver is therefore driving without a valid license and if stopped, law enforcement has the option of

1/ arresting the driver and taking him/her to jail

2/ giving the driver a citation with a mandatory court appearance."

You can apply for an International Driving Permit in person from the Post Office - please follow this link to find your nearest branch that will issue the IDP (not all branches do): The Post Office

The cost from the Post Office is only £5.50, the IDP lasts for 12 months and the start date can be delayed by up to 3 months.

We will also be contacting all clients with travel booked for this year directly to make sure that they are aware of the news.

If the purpose of the IDP is to translate a foreign licence I still cannot see why anyone with a UK licence needs an IDP but that's not what the e-mail says. I also think the respose from the Department of Highway Safety seems to be a stock response in respect of all licences.

I've been trying to find someting about these changes and cannot and the e-mail is all I have to go on. Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by Laurel Oak; 11-02-2013 at 16:22.

Florida Expert
    I was just about to post the same email. I find it really worrying that no one seems to know. Also the nearest post office to us that issues them is 20 miles away so if we've got to get one (actually 2) it's a real pain.

I don't know if this will throw any light on the matter.

This is from United States Embassy London today.

Will my British driver's license be adequate for renting a car?

The U.S.A. has an agreement with most countries whereby the renter's full national driving license may be used for a period of up to one year in the U.S.A. This applies to the full U.K. driving license. Provisional licenses are not acceptable.

Most car rental companies require that you have held a full license for at least one year, regardless of age. The minimum age for renting a car is normally 21 although it can be as high as 25. Often an additional charge is levied on drivers who are under 25 years of age.

International Driving Permits are generally not required in the U.S.A but it is helpful to carry one. If they are taken, they are only valid in conjunction with a full national driving license. They should not be accepted on their own. It is recommended that drivers who possess a full national license that is in script other than Roman, i.e. Cyrillic or Arabic, should also obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP).

Young drivers may wish to obtain an International Driving Permit to use as a photo ID, in place of a passport, for entry into bars and nightclubs where the minimum age for entry is 21 years.

If you have endorsements on your license, do check with your rental company that these do not present a problem.

We suggest that you check the requirements of your prospective automobile rental company by contacting them direct.

And this is from the AA

USA (J) J – IDP recommended as, in the event of an accident, some insurance companies will insist on seeing one. Additionally those licences which do not incorporate a photograph need to be accompanied by photographic proof of identity.

I have an old style license and use my passport for this if required. As of yet never.
    Keith

Typical with US Authorities.....never clear and definitive. We have US Licenses anyway as we own a car in US but why can't these authorities get their acts together. The first email seems to say the law changed January 2013, and the US Embassy website does not mention it by all accounts. Grrrr!!!

Something else to put visitors off visiting Florida -

Administrator
    Just to let you know we are looking in to this more closely. As of today, even the car rental companies know nothing about this, but sources certainly seem to be quoting new legislation that indicates an IDP is required. The car rental companies do not need to see one, but it would have been sensible for the authorities to inform the rental companies of such new laws! We'll keep you posted but it might be worth you getting an IDP before you travel, to be on the safe side, if you still have time to do so.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Just to let you know we are looking in to this more closely. As of today, even the car rental companies know nothing about this, but sources certainly seem to be quoting new legislation that indicates an IDP is required. The car rental companies do not need to see one, but it would have been sensible for the authorities to inform the rental companies of such new laws! We'll keep you posted but it might be worth you getting an IDP before you travel, to be on the safe side, if you still have time to do so.
    Technically Roger isn't it the case that the car hire companies would be operating illegally if they don't follow up and ensure the Renters have the IDP as, I would imagine, they have to check they have a valid license to drive in Florida , port of which now, it would seem from all things I have seen, requires that you hold an IDP as well.

It would make it easier if you could apply for it online, when I replaced my lost paper license and , of course, now have to have the 10 year renewable photo style, I applied online and it asked it I wanted to use the digital photo stored from my passport, which I did rather than go and get new photo and send it off, so the same thing could easily be done.

I think it is probably for 2 reasons, to make ti much easier whent they keep being presented with Foreign licenses to have translated (although the requirement was always there that you should have a license translated into English but also I think it is a bit like ID at the bar. Some places will ID everybody regardless of their obvious age so they don't have to worry about being accuse of discrimination and this could be the same. They don't have to worry about pursuing lawsuits from people saying they are being discriminated against because of their race or nationality if everybody ha to follow the same rules.
    Last edited by steph_goodrum; 12-02-2013 at 06:12.
    Babblin Boo

Will certainly be interested in the outcome of this. Any clarification/confirmation of the requirements will be greatfully received.
    Alison and Danny