Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bit confused over the toll roads.

Florida Newbie

A bit confused over the toll roads.

firstly, i've hired a car from Dollar, but to Buy/Rent a Pass24 will cost about $41.00 for the week. regarding this I have several questions that I can't seem to find clear answers to.
    Do I need to get the Pass24 or are there still cash booths?, as i keep finding little snippets of information that say they are changing to pass only. the trouble is I can't find which ones have/have not changed.
    we will be staying just off the 192 near ESPN, and i know that there are a few tolls that way as i've stayed in Lake Buena Vista before.
    does the Pass24 work in the same way as Sunpass etc?.
    I'm also thinking of a day or two in Tampa / Clearwater.

Sorry for all the questions but as I say I can't seem to find clear answers.

on a footnote, had i known Dollar was the most expensive pass option I would have booked with alamo, which seem more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by hairy_g View Post
    on a footnote, had i known Dollar was the most expensive pass option I would have booked with alamo, which seem more reasonable.

If you have booked your car through this site then you can cancel at no cost and then rebook with Alamo.

Most of the 'Pass' only roads tend to be towards Miami but things change all the time.
    One of the car hire companies did have an online map showing which roads were 'Pass' only but I do not recall which at the moment.

If you have not hired from here then given the location where you are staying I would be inclined to not buy a pass as you will not need it.

Dave
    Last edited by DaveL; 31-01-2013 at 20:33.
    Dave Lewis

Florida Newbie
    Thanks for the reply, I'ts a bit late to rebook as we fly out on saturday. only recen
    I only found out about the booths a couple of days ago, as long as we can get to Kissimmee I'll consider buying one of the cheaper sunpass options.

Super Moderator
    It is possible to get out of the airport and over to Kissimmee without going on the toll roads.

Try this link to the Sunpass information for rental cars https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Gold 5 Star Member
    The airport roads still have cash lanes at the moment. There is one stretch of to Miami (around Homestead which is pass only) but I would say decline the Dollar pass and pay at the booths.
    Babblin Boo

$41 seems expensive. We bought our own Sunpass a couple of years ago in Publix for $25 and just put it up in the hire car each time we go. Most trips we then spend about $10 on tolls around the Orlando area.

Sue
    Gerry and Sue

I was in the Orlando area last November/December and all the main toll booths were manned. What you have to be careful of are there are some unmanned ones when you come off the main highways which require the correct money. If you don't have the correct money you can still go through the pass side but that will obviously incur a charge, not a fine to your rental company.
    Keith

Gold 5 Star Member
    If you don't have the correct money you can still go through the pass side but that will obviously incur a charge, not a fine to your rental company.

Be aware though any "charge" the rental company passeson incurs something like $25 "admin" fee
    Babblin Boo

I use my satnav with avoid toll roads enabled works a dream ,if you have one its the best way imo .

I don't think you will have any problems - all the booths were manned on our recent visit. If you do ever get to one where they have shut up shop for the day and you don't have any change there is usually an envelope at the side you can pick up and send in the toll fee by post - you just tell them which toll it is and the date and time you went through. Happened to us last year.

Be careful though as Dollar will keep trying to push the pre-paid one on you as it makes them a ton of money!!!