Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cash

Florida Newbie

cash

hi come from uk what is best way to access cash debit card from machines bring loads cash do garages accept normal debit/credit cards any other thoughts on matter would be appreciated thx
    Last edited by florida4sun; 11-01-2013 at 10:57.

All depends on what charges you bank has for ATM use overseas. Best to check with them. I typically use an amex card that has zero fees but I don't think that is offered now. Others will be more up on which card is best to use. Most visa/mastercards are accepted in all shops and garages. Carry photo ID as it is often asked for. When shopping with cash barter for discount (on worth while goods of course).

Gold 5 Star Member
    It's quite complex because there isn't really 1 solution that suits everybody and we each have our individual preferences. There are lots of websites that discuss which is the 'best' credit or debit card and they're well worth reading.

I think most people use a mix of cash/credit/debit cards dependent on which they're most comfortable with.

Agree with Martin's comments above...
    Would add that, assuming you've a credit card with a low exchange rate (Post Office or Nationwide come to mind), you really don't need much cash. Just tolls & tips really....You'll probably get the best exchange rate that way.
    Be aware that some credit card providers add 2.75% to any foreign exchange transactions !!!!
    Garages are a bit of a pain.. you won't be able to use your card at the pump as it will 'ask' for a zip code - you'll have to go into the kiosk & pre-pay !!

Florida Expert
    For petrol/gas purchase - we get a Wal Mart Gift Card upload some $ onto it and then you get 5c a gallon off the posted price - only at Wal Mart locations of course. This does not work at Wal Mart express or Sam Club locations.
    Clare R

I always use a cash card like FairFX. Always a good exchange rate. You can also withdraw cash from an ATM if necessary for a minimal charge but make sure it is compatible with your card i.e. Mastercard. The only downside is you have to have access to a computer to add more funds to your card if you need to.
    It's worth noting as said that if you use a credit card there is a surcharge but they use the Bank exchange rate which is quite a bit higher than the Travel exchange rate so it works out about the same as the Travel rate after the surcharge. So it not as bad as some people think. I did this on a recent trip for some big buys and was pleasantly surprised.
    Keith

Super Moderator
    We have a Nationwide Select Credit card which has a zero fee for foreign use throughout the world but the Nationwide debit cards now carry a fee to use outside of Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by syrup View Post
    I always use a cash card like FairFX. Always a good exchange rate. You can also withdraw cash from an ATM if necessary for a minimal charge but make sure it is compatible with your card i.e. Mastercard. The only downside is you have to have access to a computer to add more funds to your card if you need to.
    It's worth noting as said that if you use a credit card there is a surcharge but they use the Bank exchange rate which is quite a bit higher than the Travel exchange rate so it works out about the same as the Travel rate after the surcharge. So it not as bad as some people think. I did this on a recent trip for some big buys and was pleasantly surprised.
    We use a credit card for everything except very small items - ice cream etc for which we use cash. As has been said the exchange rate they give is much better but then they take a fee of 2% + so not much in it. We find that the most convenient as it gives us one bill to pay at the end of the holiday. If you use the type of card that you load with cash make sure you read all the conditions as some make a monthly charge if you don't use it regularly and you can lose any money left on it at the end of your holiday.
    Gerry and Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Reed View Post
    you can lose any money left on it at the end of your holiday.
    You are quite right. Although the card I use lasts for two years and you can carry over any remaining funds to your new card.

If I have quite a bit left on the card I withdraw from an ATM before I leave, taking in mind you have to pay a small fee. They will also refund your money for a £10 fee.
    Keith

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    When using a credit card we use a Santander Zero card, you get a good rate of exchange and no conversion fees.
    Lyn