Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proof of age

Florida Newbie

Proof of age

Whilst in Florida last year we paid a visit to Epcot again (5th time), however this year whilst trying to purchase a beer from the British pub i was asked for ID (baring in mind im from Scotland). I showed the bar staff my British drivers license, to be told this was not acceptable as i needed to show a passport as they cant accept a British drivers license? I thought that was a ridiculous question to ask as taking a passport to a park would be a stupid idea, what happens if it gets lost? then i would be in serious trouble trying to get home. So therefore no passport no beer.

As i wasn't able to purchase a beer from the British pub, I was able to purchase one from a stall in Poland and Germany, with my drivers license being accepted as a proof of age.

Has anyone else had this problem? Also why cant Disney provide a card like the one you are given at discover cove which indicates your age and that way there isnt a problem when using it at sea world, busch gardens etc?

To be honest, the only people who can answer these questions are disney themselves. Maybe next time carry your DL and a copy of your passport too.
    Last edited by florida4sun; 03-01-2013 at 16:21.

We always suggest to our guests that they carry a colour copy of their passports with them in case proof of ID is required. The number of home scanner/printers available these days means this is often quite easy to get done.

Proof of age requirement can be quite funny as it all depends on what the owner decides is a reasonable policy. As an example I tried to buy two glasses of wine at a bar last year. (A) they wanted proof of age, I'm retired and it shows (B) My wife had to come up to the bar and also show hers otherwise they would only serve me one glass.

Dave
    Dave Lewis

I'm not retired [msnwink] but am a long long way past 21 and I was ID'd in Bonefish Grill on the 192 last month. Bonefish accepted my Photo driving license - but apparently they are twitchy about driving licenses in Bahama Breeze and the staff have been told to only accept passports.
    I also had to show ID for my son, who is 21, in Total wines (a large wine warehouse) he wasn't buying anything it was just me, but because he was with me he had to be ID'd. It did make me wonder what happens if you go in with your kids.
    Caroline & Dave

Florida Chatterbox
    My daughter showed her UK Driving Licence at the ESPN Bar at the Boardwalk and it was not accepted even though it has her DoB. As has been said its not practical to carry passports around and I wonder if a colour copy would be acceptable as its so easy to change dates on the copy if you know what you are doing.

I was asked for ID last November in Target when buying wine and I'm 58 (and look it) but they did accept my Driving Licence.

I always have this problem with my daughter even in the UK. She is 23 but has learning difficulties and looks more like mid-teens. I even had a 1/2 pt of shandy taken away from her in a pub restaurant last summer as I could not prove her age. Since then I carry a colour photocopy of her passport in my handbag - she will never have a driving licence, and up to now that has been accepted, but that is in the UK.
    Sue
    Gerry and Sue

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurel Oak View Post

I was asked for ID last November in Target when buying wine and I'm 58 (and look it) but they did accept my Driving Licence.
    Completely crazy!!

Pity they don't seem to show similar diligence when somebody wants to buy a firearm.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katys Grandad View Post
    Completely crazy!!

Pity they don't seem to show similar diligence when somebody wants to buy a firearm.
    Never a truer word spoken.

Target always insist on photo id for any purchase of alcohol. Luckily I had my passport on me that day as Chris and I still have the old pink driving licences as we have not moved house so no need to and certainly not paying expense of a new one every 10 years until we do! I told the cashier he'd made my day if he seriously thought I looked 30 or under! Never have any of this rubbish in Publix which is usually where we buy any wine.
    Totally agree KG, bonkers.
    Fiona

Florida Chatterbox
    i got asked for id last year, i was happy as my 40th was 2 weeks away, i think once you buy any alcohol the till may ask the teller to input the D.O.B of customer?? possible?