Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Proof of age

I was once told by a young cashier that although it was obvious I was over 21 she really had to see my ID as any manager watching her serve me would have had reason to sack her if she hadn't.
    I was happy to oblige, and my UK driving licence was accepted as ID.
    Dave.

At Walmart in Clermont this past Summer I had to run from checkout to the car to get my drivers licence....I had wine in the cart and there was no way the cashier would let me though until I did. This, despit the fact that I have snow-white hair and look every one of my 54 years!! Mad really.

I was ID'd in Publix a couple of years ago. The server was only a young lad himself and I think he was just being diligent. He apologised profusely when he realised I was 50+!
    my uk drivers license was sufficient.

Liz

Florida Chatterbox freddiehollie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Katys Grandad View Post
    Completely crazy!!

Pity they don't seem to show similar diligence when somebody wants to buy a firearm.

They do KG.... But you only have to be over 5........
    mike

To be honest, I always think that the comments criticising the US's habits, customs, accepted norms, etc a little bizarre. You're in a different country, why should their laws or customs be the same as what you are used to?

I personally think that it is a sensible and easy policy for any store to just say, "We ID everyone buying alcohol". Rather than if you appear under 30 or if you appear under 25 or whatever. It's just much easier to say, "We ask for ID from everyone". It takes any pressure or decision making off of the staff. I think it is poor form for any place not to accept UK driving licenses as ID, as long as they are the photo IDs. Then again, you are in their house, so their house, their rules. I accept that this approach isn't universal, however, it is one business's approach to tackling the licensing legislation. Compare it to some provinces in Canada where you can't even buy any alcohol in a grocery store or supermarket, it's not really so strict or burdensome.

Just my tuppence/2 cents worth.
    Euan

Florida Expert
    My dad was asked to prove his age when buying a pint of beer at the Rose and Crown in Epcot - he's over 70!!! They wouldn't let him buy a drink for my mum either until she came over to the counter and showed her id. Not really a problem although it does slow down the queues quite a bit when you do that.
    Angela

Perhaps establishments/areas need to make their ID policy known....before you reach the stage of having to pay and then hold up the whole queue??

Yes, a sign at the alcohol section stating ID required for everyone would be a good idea.
    Euan

I guess that one of the problems is knowing what a foriegn ID should look like. How many here would be able to say how a driving licence from Brazil should look?

Dave
    Dave Lewis

Google for fake ID and you will see the problem with the UK DL, some near copies available for next to nothing. That said I dont think you can get in UK club with a fake ID