Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Fuel Charge

Gold 5 Star Member

Fuel Charge

Hi Roger
    Wonder if you can ghelp please. We've just picked up our car from MCO and booked silver with Dollar ont he basis we could return it either full or empty. We prefer to return it full but when we picked it up we were told that we had to prepay for tank (at$45) it's not too far off pump price but hubby hates to see them have fuel back so for the last couple of days tries to judge how much we are going to need which frutstrates me and refuelling on the waay to the airport is much easier.
    Do you know when it changed or is it because the voucher shows "Affordable car hire noW" we've never had any trouble before and can't do much about it as they have already taken the money but would like to know for future or if it is only with Dollar (who incidentally were deareer than Alamo but as we've always had good servie with them paid thje extra.
    Babblin Boo

Administrator
    I'm afraid with Dollar it has always been the case that you must return empty on Silver, and pay for the tank of fuel. Dollar have been known to allow you to return full, at their discretion, if you ask on collection, but it's not usual for them to agree.

It is with Alamo and National that you are officially allowed to return full to avoid the refueling charge on the Silver option.

When we picked up our car with National we were told we had to return it empty even though we were on silver.

Liz

Florida Savvy
    I think it helps if the car you have has a fuel computer on it, when we were over a few weeks ago I did the prepay option as I knew we would be using a full tank of gas as we had planend to go down to Anna Maria island, the cost was around $70 for a 7 seater so similar to pump prices and i just kept looking up the miles left on the computer so knew how much to put in while we were over.

I think there was around 40 miles left in the tank when we left for MCO so I kniow there wouldnt be much left in it when we haned it back.

Administrator
    I'm sorry to hear they misinformed you. This is a relatively new policy and most other agents customers have to return empty, so perhaps the staff were not used to the situation.

We went with Alamo and we asked to return it full but the rep persuaded us to return it empty as he said it would be cheaper for us to do that, we had silver. I think after the refueling, taxes and charges alamo put onto our card, it came to $89, it would have been cheaper to return it full. You live and learn I suppose...
    Wendy

Gold 5 Star Member
    We had the fuel computer on one car but dont have it this time. does make it easier. As I said we've always done this except when we have 2 drivers and have to go for the gold option, it's just the first time in I don't know how may rentals we've had that it has ever been denied that we can return it full. She told us the price would be $44 something so if there are other charges added on I will be querying why we weren't told any more. Hopefully that will be it.
    Babblin Boo

We picked had picked our car up originally from Alamo at Fort Lauderdale on 5th December for 7 days, then had to return the car 12 December and pick up second car for the rest of our 9 week stay and both times were asked if would be returning tank empty or full, we opted to return with full tank of petrol on both occasions. Have to say had not used Alamo for years, service we had was super and would definately use them again.
    Thank you US Car Hire and of course Roulla for all your help, will be in touch for our car hire for next years long stay.