Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: New York for new year !

New York for new year !

Hi
    I'm planning a surprise trip as my sons Christmas present for New York for New Year.....
    Flights &hotel booked but would love any tips on times sq for ny eve, and frankly anything els. I haven't been to NY when it's cold, so am unsure what clothes to tke. Any good restaurant tips etc. all help appreciated.

New York - New Year - how exciting!!! My daughter did it a couple of years ago and said Times Square itself is a bit of a no-no as they start camping out early morning for the best spots. All the streets leading into the area were closed off early as well but they managed to get access through one of the lower level streets and still managed to see the Ball drop
    This link will take you to one of the bus tour companies which do the hop-on/hop-off services including a night tour - think is is $59 for a 72 hour ticket at the moment.
    http://www.newyorksightseeing.com/tourpage.php?item=AL3
    Not been to NY for a few years myself and think there are still quite a few places still struggling to get re-opened after Sandy - my recommedation would have been The River Cafe but don't think that will re-open for quite some time. Beekman Tower has a fabulous 360 degree view from its Top of The Tower restuarant where they serve breakfast, dinner, or you can just pop in for a cocktail which they serve from 5:00p.m. Sunday Brunch at The Peacock Room at the Waldorf looks amazing but have not ever managed to do it - next time though!!!
    I am sure others will have lots of recommendations for you - you will be spoiled for choice!!!!

Have a wonderful time!!

Florida Chatterbox
    Hi,
    We spent new year in NY last year at had a fabulous time. I agree with the comment about Time Square, we were told that you really needed to be there by lunch time and of course that meant standing up for the whole day, night. We went on a night cruise that ended up in front of the statue of liberty for the fireworks at midnight, then a limo back to the hotel. This was the highlight of the trip for our son who had always wanted to ride a limo up 5th Avenue. We did write a trip report on here if that is of any help.

My top tip is to get there early for the trip out to the Statue of Liberty, we walked straight onto the boat, but when we came back the queue was huge. Don't expect to get on the ice rink at the rock, it was heaving, but we enjoyed the view from the top of the rock better than the empire state building.

We loved "the ride" coach tour that you pick up in Times Square. It was really interactive and fun and you end up being part of the show. I really recommend doing this.

http://theater.nytimes.com/2010/10/15/theater/15ride.html?_r=0&adxnnl=1&pagewanted=all&adxnnlx=1 355009831-RvatKf/t8oTAuh9Jc6SPAw

Have fun
    Last edited by FraserLynn; 08-12-2012 at 23:38.

Thank you Philomena and FraserLynn for your great advice. I believe you can book tickets for local restaurants overlooking times sq so ill look into that!