Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Travel Insurance for the older or health impaired traveller

Gold 5 Star Member
    I have just managed to renew my multi trip, worldwide policy with Global Travel Insurance (Tel: 01903 235042) for £142, which is the standard price for an individual adult. Medical screening is required for trips to North America, Central America, The Caribbean and for cruises, whether or not you have a medical condition. There is a hefty excess of £2000 for claims arising from my pre-existing condition, though that is far preferable to being hit by hospital expenses should an emergency arise. I had a heart attack in 2008 and have one stent fitted. Most companies won't even cover me for trips to America, so the fact that I only pay the standard price for the policy is a bonus. Just as long as I don't make a claim related to my condition! The excess varies according to age - Under 60 it is £500 - £1000, for age 61-76 it is £1000 - £2000. These are the prices today, but could, of course change at any time.
    I don't know how much they would charge for single trip, but a company worth considering.
    Last edited by chris c; 13-12-2013 at 16:11.
    Christine

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    This sounded really good, however we stay for longer than 31 days and although they offer upgrades to 60 and 90 days they only apply if you are less than 65.
    Lyn

Gold 5 Star Member
    Our annual cover will expire soon and I'm looking at renewal options (we have a few pre-existing conditions). I've had a look at all the companies mentioned but I've also read some horrific reviews of a couple of them on other sites. The reviews are almost all related to difficulties with claims rather than the cost of the policy. I've made the mistake of buying purely on price in the past and lived to regret it.

Has anybody had any CLAIM experience with any of them that might be useful to know?
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 13-01-2014 at 11:56.

What are the chances of getting insurance for a 90 year old? I would like to try and persuade MIL to come out one more time if possible
    Im not sure if she will agree to it because I think the flight will put her off but I would like to try.

We did manage it for mother a couple of times when she was over 90. For the last few years we found that different insurance companies would insure her for a year and then refuse as policies changed. It probably depends on how many medical conditions she will have to declare. For the very last visit we went with goodtogo.com but also had quotes from Age UK and Saga. We actually wished we had not taken her for the last trip as the journey really was too much for her.
    Lynne

Florida Newbie
    I just renewed my travel insurance with Holidaysafe.co.uk, and they cover all of our conditions (I have diabetes) for a very reasonable price. My husband made a claim a couple of years ago, and everything went through fine too, so I don't think I would go anywhere else now. I recommended them to my friend's parents too, because their Single Trip policies have no upper age limits, so perfect for seniors who still want to travel! (0845 658 0570)

Florida Chatterbox
    My wife had a recent heart attack so I knew insurance was going to be expensive for our 3 week trip to Florida. Based on the info in this thread I contacted Avanti & Staysure who quoted £430 & £470 respectively. Then I came across a website called payingtoomuch.com and got cover for £350 through Avanti. All quotes were for the mid range product.

Have to admit I was shocked to receive quotes as high as £1800 and still think £350 is expensive but at least it's a saving compared to the Avanti quote direct

I do find these comparison websites can be very useful. I use to you Staysure but I now find them very expensive. Perhaps it has something to do with them now advertising on t.v.
    Keith

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by vickk View Post
    My wife had a recent heart attack so I knew insurance was going to be expensive for our 3 week trip to Florida. Based on the info in this thread I contacted Avanti & Staysure who quoted £430 & £470 respectively. Then I came across a website called payingtoomuch.com and got cover for £350 through Avanti. All quotes were for the mid range product.

Have to admit I was shocked to receive quotes as high as £1800 and still think £350 is expensive but at least it's a saving compared to the Avanti quote direct
    We are now back from our trip but have booked another 3 week break for next year. Since my wife's problem and the rise in insurance cost I am now wondering if I would be better booking 2 single policies rather than a couple as I don't have the loading that the wife's does. I am thinking it may work out cheaper as when booked as a couple the insurance company would have to work on a cost basis that if the wife had problems before travel they would have to consider the cost of 2 peoples cancellations rather than one.

I know it would be a gamble but my main reason for the insurance is to protect against the high medical costs in the US rather than the cost of a flight or lost possessions.

What do you all think, has anyone got any experience of this.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I have just had a quote from Saga (see attached).
    Think I'll go for the Annual Policy. Very reasonable!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015 HOLIDAY INSURANCE QUOTE.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	1129
    Christine