Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Photograpgy at Disney/Universal

Florida Savvy
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
    That is some of the best advice you will ever give ... but you'll be surprised how few people will ever heed it.

Back in the days of 35mm film there was a saying that a photography teacher once told me ... The lens takes the photo, the camera just holds the film flat.
    I did find myself being nosey checking out other DSLRs as i was walking around and saw so many people with the standard 18-55 kit lens. I really wanted to go and tell them to upgrade it!
    The first picture i took with my 35mm prime, i could instantly see a difference in image quality, and the aperture of f1.8 was fantastic for shooting at night. WE stayed in All Star Sports and i went out one night with the tripod and camera and got some fantastic photos around the hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
    Great Pictures all of them but my favourite is No.2
    Actually that one has made the shortlist to be made into a canvs and put up in our living room! i quite like it too!
    There was one the other side of the castle i wanted to get but there was always to many people to get it. In front of the carousel is the sword in the stone, most people stand there and take photos of it against the carousel ride. if you go around the back of it, you can get a great shot of it against the castle if you get in close, but there was always people in the way when i wanted to take it. next time maybe

Gold 5 Star Member
    You'll likely notice a slightly faster camera response too Spuddy with the faster prime lenses. To fill you in on the technical side of what happens ... when your camera autofocuses it has the lens open to its widest aperture. It wants to allow as much light onto the autofocus sensors as it possible can do so that it makes the job of focusing easier. Only when you release the shutter does the lens stop-down to your selected aperture. It's all co-ordinated by the camera's electronics and mechanics to make sure that the aperture is selected and stable just before the shutter starts to open. Clever huh?

With the faster prime lenses the autofocus system is getting a lot more light to work with so it can make better focusing decisions. To you using it, it will probably feel just that bit faster and more precise as the autofocus hits its target first time every time. You will notice it more in low light when with slower lenses the autofocus might miss on its first attempt and start hunting for correct focus (the ziiiippppp-zaaaapppppp you sometimes hear as the lens focuses in and out).

The main genius though of fast lenses is their ability to throw the background completely out of focus. It's called bokeh, and the effect is quite beautiful. It can completely detach your subject from the background and at the same time keep the background both interesting yet non-intrusive. It's even more spectacular when you have a very colourful background (the lights in theme parks are amazing) and doubly so if you pick-out your subject with a bit of fill-flash.

Sadly though, as with cars, houses, villas, steak and everything else in life, those beautiful ultra-fast lenses all come at a price. I don't think you ever regret buying good glass though.
    Steve

Florida Savvy
    cool, its must better to get an explanation like tis than some of the more technical jargon version on the web!
    actually i noticed the background straight away.
    I took a close up photo of my son playing on one of the nintendo DS in the virgin lounge, and whilst he is pin sharp, the backgroud glass windows are blurred.

I dont think i will constantly be adding new lens to my collection, as i dont think i have the need to, especially as you say, they come at a price!
    I was intersted in a super wide angle lens, but the Nikon one (12-24mm) is £550-£600. The use i will get out of it, just wont justify it.

Maybe the next time i go to Vegas and a have a good day at the tables ill go and get one and take a trip to the canyon, but its a lot of money really.. i did think about hiring one for this trip, as its a lot cheaper, but then i thought, that i have only just got my camera and an extra zoom (55-200mm) and the 35mm prime, i think thats enough.

I love taking pictures in the parks and, like others have expressed, anyone travelling with me tends to get annoyed with me.

I find a really good way of getting some good camera usage tips is to look at video podcasts. A quick search in iTunes for photo tips or photography 101 has yielded some really good tutorials.

... At the risk of sounding anti-social, does anyone else think the thing that ruins theme park photography more often than anything else is the people?!

Florida Savvy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    I love taking pictures in the parks and, like others have expressed, anyone travelling with me tends to get annoyed with me.

I find a really good way of getting some good camera usage tips is to look at video podcasts. A quick search in iTunes for photo tips or photography 101 has yielded some really good tutorials.

... At the risk of sounding anti-social, does anyone else think the thing that ruins theme park photography more often than anything else is the people?!
    yes - agree!! woiuld love to have the park to myself for a day to take photos! or to stay really late when everyone has left/is leaving, but am generally too tired by that time of night!

Gold 5 Star Member
    A personal favourite of mine Spuddy is to take a walk around the Epcot lagoon after the Illuminations fireworks show has finished. There is usually a charge for the park exit so you can often find parts of the park that are completely empty. I find the theme parks get so much more photogenic once the sun is down so it makes a great way to do a bit of photography. You also don't feel like you are getting in anyone's way if you spend a bit of time firtling with a tripod to try a few different things. If only the tea and cake shop at Norway would stay open until midnight ...
    Steve