Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photograpgy at Disney/Universal

Florida Savvy

Photograpgy at Disney/Universal

I noticed that there were no threads for this subject so i thought i would start one, (or at least i couldnt find one)

I bought a DSLR a few months ago, in an effort to get some really high quality photos of Disney this year.
    I bought a Nikon D5100 (but lets not make this a Nikon vs Canon debate though!) and along with the kit lens, i bought a Nikon 55-200mm zoom and Nikon 35mm prime lens to compliment it.
    I have been on a few courses, to learn the basics of DLSR cameras, and have also bought a tripod and circular polariser as well

I would like to get some really ncie fireworks photos, and general landscape photography of the theme parks and golf courses that i will play, as well as photos of the family enjoying themselves

Does anyone else have an interest in this subject, and can pass on some tips and maybe share some DLSR photos they took?

Hi,
    I have both Nikon and Cannon cameras and one is a is good as the other. Just getting used to my Cannon, they are slightly less user friendly but you soon get used to them.
    Your camera has good low light capabilities for its price. For fireworks, I would be using manual mode and experimenting with different settings until you find the sweet spot.
    For landscape if you can find a Sigma 10-20mm lens, these are superb for landscape photography and great value. I prefer it to much more expensive cannon and Nikon lenses I have. I work a lot in low light but mainly for concert and backstage photography. One thing I would get my hands on is Lightroom for editing, it is superb. Shoot in RAW if you have the software to work on raw files, end results will be much better. No doubt Snapper will be on here offering more in depth and great advice. I know he has some great snaps along the lines you are talking about.

Florida Savvy
    thanks for the reply, i dont think i can get away with another lens now, had to put in some grafting with the wife to buy the two extras, and spending £300 or so on another wont go down well!

I will probably shoot in jpeg, but switch to RAW as well, when i am shooting the fireworks and landscapes, just in case.
    I have photoshop and CS5 at work so can edit the photos there if needed.

I am excited about taking photos this year, as its a hobby i never thought i would get into but i really seem to enjoy it so far...

Gold 5 Star Member
    We used to have dozens of photo threads. I wonder if they all got archived away when the forums were converted to the new software? Hey ho, not to worry. There's heaps of fun to be had recreating them.

Your question actually wraps three completely different questions into one. How to take photos of fireworks? How to take general scenic photos? How to take photos of people?

These are all different skills and in all honesty you can spend your whole life getting better and better at them. The good news is that you can practice with general scenic photos and people photos before you go on holiday and the skills you develop will be with you forever.

Fireworks are a bit more tricky, but here are a couple of starters ...

http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida...minations.aspx

http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida...-a-tripod.aspx

These are probably a little out of date now and would benefit from a re-vamp, but the general principles I think are still quite sound.

Does the D5100 have a Raw+Jpeg setting? That's one of the first things I usually set. Given how inexpensive storage is these days I can only think of maybe a couple of reasons where it wouldn't make sense to shoot both Raw+Jpeg. You get the benefits that way of having the NEF file and at the same time you have the camera's interpretation in the Jpeg file.
    Steve

Florida Savvy
    Thanks for the post, i wil lcheck them out.

Yes the D5100 does have RAW+JPEG setting.
    I have to 12GB memory cards so should have enough space, plus i just discovered that Apple sell a camera connection kit of the iphone/ipad so will be buying one of them and uploading photos for safekeeping on my ipad until i get home. although not sure how it will deal with the RAW files.

I know with fireworks its a low ISO (100/200) and slow shutter speed so i think over the course of the trip i should get enough practive to get some shots. As i said i do have a tripod and i also bought a remote for the shutter too.

But i am looking forward to the practicising anyway!

I don't think the D5100 can shoot in Raw and jpeg at the same time. Pretty sure you need to chose or other.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddybaby View Post

I have to 12GB memory cards so should have enough space, plus i just discovered that Apple sell a camera connection kit of the iphone/ipad so will be buying one of them and uploading photos for safekeeping on my ipad until i get home.
    I bought the camera connection kit and it didn't work with our camera (Canon EOS), so it might be worth checking yours is OK before you go if you're going to rely on it.
    Caroline & Dave

Florida Savvy
    that surprising, i loked at it and it comes iwth tow plugings to the bottom of the ipads, one with a USB for the camera, one with a straight SD card slot.
    was assuming that the SD card one would be fine.

time to do some research befreo i buy then, other wise i have to take a notebook with me...

Florida Savvy
    Quote Originally Posted by florida4sun View Post
    I don't think the D5100 can shoot in Raw and jpeg at the same time. Pretty sure you need to chose or other.
    No it can do both, i just looked at the manual online (p35 of the users mannual)

I was surprised as it was supposed to be compatible, it's the only time I've bought anything Apple related that I wasn't 100% happy with. Afterwards I read on an Apple forum that a lot of people have compatibility problems with this product.
    Caroline & Dave