Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A jolly holiday - the final part

A jolly holiday - the final part

Thursday

Woke up early this morning to torrential rain thundering down on the roof of the villa (Sandy was on her way) but by about 9 am the rain had cleared somewhat and it was still hot so after a vote the decision was made to go to Aquatica for as long as the weather held out. I decided not to take my swim stuff (I felt too fat and frumpy) so after loading everyone else's stuff in the boot we were off. Arrived at about 11 ish and it although it was very overcast the park was quite busy. I ensconced myself with the bags on some loungers (noticing all the while how slim everyone seemed to be!) and read my book whilst Gary and the girls went off to check out all the rides. About an hour or so later they all arrived back hungry so we went over to the snak shack and paid an arm and a leg for a cheese and ham sandwich and a chicken and salsa wrap to share. These devoured off they went again for another hour when it started to get really dark overhead, we decided to make a move back home and got into the car just as the heavens opened. When we got back home the weather seemed to be brightening so on went my cossie and out to the pool I went (I feel much more comfortable in the privacy of our own pool) Jennifer and Bryony also came out and we played some beach ball games in the pool then I sat and read for a while until the wind started whistling through the pool cage again and the trees were swaying so I made a move inside, Gary had managed to find some football on the TV so I had a nice relaxing bath in our HUGE tub then when the footie had finished we went to Perkins for dinner.

Friday

A lovely but very windy day today so we decided to head south down the 27 to Eagle Ridge Mall to see what it was like. We got there and there were about 10 cars in the car park so we didn't think it was open but when we went in it felt like they had opened it up just for us, I couldn't believe that we seemed to be the only ones there. Jennifer found herself a pair of Vans for $30 which she was very pleased about and we then headed over to Starbucks for a coffee, Gary hates these places but we ganged up on him and went in where he decided to try a Caffe Mocha and I think we have now converted him because he suggested a while later that we go back again for another !!. We spotted a JCP so headed in there and we ended up buying winter coats for Gary and Jennifer, gloves, hats and scarfs for the girls, t-shirts and a sweatshirt for Gary, Bryony found a watch she liked so she bought that and I paid the bill !!. After a spot of lunch we headed back to the car park when Gary spotted a Dillards so we went in and he found himself some CK shirts which were from $90 to $14, all the time I am thinking "how are we going to get all this stuff home". Can recommend this Mall, it doesn't have all the designer shops that Altamonte Springs has but if you are after a bargin I would give it a try. Back to the villa with their spoils and then we did a trial run on the packing (this if going to be very tight) then for our final meal(or so we thought!!) we went to Chilis and stuffed ourselved with shiner bock ribs (yum, yum).

Saturday

Didn't sleep very well last night, I think it is because we know we are on our way home today. Caroline has very kindly let us have a late check out today so we were able to have a final dip in the pool and the jacuzzi before we got down to some serious packing, a couple of the suitcases needed sitting on and after weighing were virtually on the 23kg mark, we got ourselves sorted out and in the car by 1.30 and went for a cheap and cheerful lunch down at the Waffle House before making our way to the airport for our flight at 7.30 this evening. Booked the car back in, amazingly we had driven more than 1500 miles in 2weeks, asnd headed over to check in. Got ourselved some extra leg room seats(yay) and went and queued to get through immigration, all went well although painfully slow, found some seats at Gate 81 and settled ourselves in for the long wait to the flight. By 6 pm everyone was waiting and an announcement came on that the boarding process was going to be delayed for an hour which mean'tthe plane would be leaving at 8.30 instead, a few moans and groans..... by 8 pmboarding was still delayed due to a technical fault but we were assured that boarding would take place by 9.15.... 9.15 boarding starts..... 10.15 the captain comes on the tannoy and says that due to a technical fault which couldn't be fixed in time the plane would have to disembark and we were being put in the hands ofthe ground staff because by law he, the captain, was not allowed to fly the plane after a period of time. Off the plane we got and were told to make our way to check in where further info would be given.... got to check in all we were told was that we were being put onto buses and taken to a Hotel in Orlando over night but we were not allowed our luggage back because the plane had been sealed and by law was not allowed to be reopened. Basically we had what we were standing in. No other info was given by the ground staff to us other than we would be provided with a meal when we got to the hotel and breakfast in the morning. Off onto the coaches and we were all taken to the Florida Mall Hotel. 1 person on duty in reception to process 400 (by this time tired and frustrated passengers). 2 hours standing in line and NO virgin rep to be seen and we finally had our rooms at 1 am. Other people had to stand and wait for another 2 hours to get theirs. We were also told that the hotel was not providing us with any meals or refreshments and that Virgin had been made aware of this when they made the booking but they would give us breakfast each for $15 which we would then have to charge to Virgin. The rooms we were given were very nice so we finally went to bed although I didn't sleep very much because I had lots going round my head.

Sunday

When we got up Sunday morning and went down to breakfast I heard someone saythat a ground staff (from Virgin) had told them to go and buy change of clothes, keep the receipts and then Virgin would refund the money, so after eating a lot at breakfast (bearing in mind we hadn't eaten since the Waffle House the morning before) and getting a receipt we decided to go into the Florida Mall when it opened at 12 and get some clean underwear etc. Got back upto the room just in time to have a quick shower before the bus came to pick us up again at 1.30 to take us to the airport. Still not seen hide nor hair of any Virgin rep to let us know what was going on even though the hotel had requested their presence on a number of occasions, by now there were A LOT of very angry, tired and frustrated passengers.

We got to the airport for about 2 pm where they didn't know what to do with us and made us re queue up at check in again with all the other passengers even though we had no luggage etc. People were starting to get REALLY annoyed by this time and the next thing we know the Police had arrived !! After eventually re-issuing our boarding passes and giving us a phone card and a food voucher (no claims forms though) each we were all told to go back to Immigration, when we got there Virgin had issued us with tickets with the wrong date on and they would not let us through !! The Police came and herded us to one side until it could be sorted out, eventually they let us through and we were back sitting in the same seats by the same gate....the engine on the plane was in pieces and a mechanic with parts was on his way over from the UK on the 3.30 flight and the flight was scheduled to take off atapproximately 9.30 pm. Another long day at the airport but at 8 pm we were told that the plane had been cleared for take off and we would be on our way at the re-scheduled time some 26 hours later than scheduled. Still no Virgin Rep to be seen (this whole fiasco has been handled appallingly). When we got on the plane we were issued with a "Sorry Notice" which said that by way of compensation we were being offered 12,000 airmiles .... I can't tell you what the reaction was to that !!! Sat waiting to take off when the captain said that 10 passengers had disappeared and we were not able to leave until they had been boarded so we sat for another 45 minutes waiting for them they were slow hand clapped when they finally got on. In the meantime the captain came on the tannoy to apologise for the delay and said that we were not to forget that the cabin crew were also in the same situation and wanted to go home to their loved ones !! (a tad insensitive I thought) it was mentioned to the cabin crew by a number of passengers that they were not in clothes that were 2 days old and that they had been able to sit by the pool at their hotel for most of the day!! the comment by the captain didn't go down well...

Monday

FINALLY we arrived home in the UK at about 10 ish this morning......and now the fight for compensation starts

Not a great end to our holiday and the past couple of days have slightly diminished our memories a bit but I would like to thank all of you for putting up with my ramblings over the past 2 weeks and I hope our memories have made you smile.

I would like to say a HUGH BIG THANK YOU to Caroline for her support over the past couple of days and for allowing us to live in her beautiful home for the past 2 week.....

Our amazing holiday is now over

So over and out until the next time .......
    Last edited by kitch50; 29-10-2012 at 20:15.
    Wendy

Oh Wendy, I'm just sorry your fabulous holiday had a bit of a sorry ending. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your trip reports, I might even do some myself on our next visit, although as an owner I'm sure my report would be much less exciting! I'd like to thank you for being such great guests and I hope Virgin give you heaps of compensation so that you can plan another trip soon [msnwink]
    Caroline & Dave

What an awful way t be treated by Virgin! Please let us know how the claim for compensation goes.
    Diane.

Florida Savvy
    I would think badly,after my own experiences..they always manage to squeeze there way outta paying anything!

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    What a sad ending to a great trip. Let us know how you get on with Virgin. Have loved your reports.
    Lyn

Wendy i have enjoyed every bit of your trip report but the last bit how appalling... virgin are way out of order! hope you get some decent responses to this...

so when you thinking bout going again??

Thanks Wendy xx[cheers]
    Liesa

Great report wendy......a bit of a bad ending to your holiday right enough , i hope that does not diminish your memories of your holiday . We all hope for things to go as planned but its not always the case ....i have also spent many hours in airports awaiting 'take off'...(but thankfully we have never been held up as long as yourself and your family)......Your experience has not given me much faith in virgin i,m afraid .
    I enjoyed your reports on your holiday...thanks for taking the time to write them.

PS... please keep us updated 'if' you hear from virgin .....I would like to think that some form of compensation wil be coming your way.

Gerry.

Thanks for sharing your trip reports Wendy, sounds like my sort of holiday..........lots of shopping[msnwink]

Sorry the ending was a bit of a damp squib [msnsad] And I hope you get something back from Virgin but don't hold your breath. We fought tooth and nail when Caesars Palace bumped us off to The Luxor in favour of higher paying conference guests, we were with Virgin Holidys and they just shrugged their shoulders and said it was beyond their control. We eventually got a voucher for 10% off another Virgin Holiday but we never travelled with them again and turned our back on package tours in favour of doing our own thing!
    I am sure you have got lots of good memories to keep you going until your next trip[msnsmile2]

Liz

Just an update on our fight for compensation. We had a letter today from Virgin saying that our claim for €600 under the new EU regulations has been denied because of extraordinary circumstances !! (even though they knew that the aircraft had a fault 3 days before the fault became serious). They are still only willing to offer 12,000 airmiles. We are now going to go to the Civil Aviation Authority along with a lot of the other passengers on the flight to see if they will look into our claims. Did you know that the airline industry is unregulated and does not have an Ombudsman that passengers can go to if they have issues ? I certainly didn't until this happened to us.
    Wendy

Gold 5 Star Member
    I can't find all the other reports but there were several recently, of which this is one, which may help your case

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...ht-delays.html

This paragraph may be particularly useful
    "Unfortunately, the definition of 'extraordinary' is used to cover most delays, including those caused by bad weather, fog, air traffic control or other strikes, political instability and one-off incidents such as the ash cloud that brought European aviation to a stand-still in 2010. In practice, it is only in a relatively small proportion of cases, such as a technical problem with an aircraft, when the airline becomes liable. And airlines hold all the cards - it may be hard, and an expensive process, for a consumer to prove what caused the delay.” "
    Babblin Boo