Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where's best on the gulf coast ??

Florida Newbie

Smile where's best on the gulf coast ??

Hi my family spent a few days at treasure island this year and were hoping to rent a villa in this area for our holiday next year but seem to be struggling to find villa's in this area,can anyone advise us of any other area's worth looking at along the Gulf as we plan to spend a week here and then move down towards the florida keys area for our final week. ideally we would like this first week to have..

days out
    theme parks (not disney)
    beautiful beaches
    boat rides
    fishing
    shops
    good food

All idea's welcome

where's best on the gulf coast ??

We go to springhill newport richey area just about 50 mins north of tampa
    Lots of shops restaurants ect
    Easy run down us 50 from disney

where's best on the gulf coast ??

Also busch gardens near to tampa
    Lowery parc zoo and best beach pine island beach near to springhill or clearwater beach bout 1 hour from springhill along the us19

Florida Expert
    Due to the various Counties having their own regulations regarding Short Term Rentals the areas available on the Gulf Coast are few and far between. Some counties insist on nothing less than a month at a time, others only allow so many rentals a year.

Charlotte County - south of Sarasota, north of Fort Myers is one of the few exceptions that allow weekly rentals. Main town in Port Charlotte on the 41 and the beach area is at Englewood. You will find, on this site, several villas for rent in an area called Rotonda - this is a community on the outskirts of Englewood.

Regarding your list:-

Busch Gardens near Tampa are attainable for a day
    Beautiful beaches - miles of them at Englewood/Manasota Key/Gasaprilla Island
    Boat Rides - yes, from the beach area at Englewood and from Gasparilla Marina
    Fishing - some of the Rotonda villas back onto freshwater canals where a 'fish and release' system operates but you will need a temporary license
    Shops - Bealls in Englewood, Port Charlotte has a shopping mall with all the big stores - just 14 miles to the east
    Good Food - Englewood has many independent small restaurants, Food is Love, Mango Bistro as well as Denny's and McDonalds. Again Port Charlotte has many restaurants
    Clare R

Florida Newbie
    thanks for this everyone i also meant to mention that my eldest daughter has an absolute love for dolphins and was in her element to be able to see them off the coast from our hotel that we stayed at, am i right to assume that there's as good a chance of catching a sight of them any where along the coast, also is tampa the best airport to fly into

Just walking along the beaches close to Rotonda West any evening at sunset we often see dolphins or there are boat trips for dolphin spotting. Tampa is probably the easiest airport to fly into. All the major car hire desks (many of which can be booked through this site) are just outside the airport and there is easy access onto the I-275 heading south to Rotonda West.
    Maureen Green

Super Moderator
    Mote Aquarium at Sarasota is also well worth a visit they also have a dolphin rehabilitation hospital.

Another vote for Lowry Zoo as a good place for a visit.

Venice Beach and Sharky's on the Pier restaurant is one of our favourites - it is right down by the pier overlooking the beach. You can sit inside or outside.

Gold 5 Star Member
    If you rent a boat for a day or half a day you are likely to have them around the boat, we did in June and it was magical.

Also from Fisherman's Village in Punta Gorda you can pick up the harbour cruise and or the sunset cruises.

The beaches and barrier islands are stunning.

Great golf and the shopping is not to bad ether.

Rotonda West itself is 30 square miles of natural habitat so lots of wildlife, Bobcats, Raccoons, Armadillos, Birds and the odd small Alligator in the Rotonda River.

There are quite a few guides on the Cape Haze peninsular on the site.

Enjoy I do not think this location would dis-appoint.

Lynne

We met up with our rellies over here and went to Pass a Grille which seemed a lovely resort and have also stayed by Tarpon Springs, where we saw manatee, so would recommend both.
    Karen Scott

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nemofish2000 View Post
    thanks for this everyone i also meant to mention that my eldest daughter has an absolute love for dolphins and was in her element to be able to see them off the coast from our hotel that we stayed at, am i right to assume that there's as good a chance of catching a sight of them any where along the coast, also is tampa the best airport to fly into
    Hi

I've been holidaying on the Gulf Coast for over 20 years and was last there in October. I think I know the place pretty well by now but for the past few years I've stuck with Sanibel & Captiva Islands. I'm pretty confident you'd love it.

But don't just take my word for it. I don't know if you're familiar with Frommers Travel Guides (you'll see then in bookshops all around the world) by the founder Arthur Frommer, published his favourite destinations in the world earlier this year and Sanibel was Number 1!

This is what he said:

"Off the west coast of the Sunshine State, a few miles from Fort Myers, is this idyllic haven of white-sand beaches, condos whose seafront apartments are available for weekly rentals, excellent restaurants, good shopping and most important, the Ding Darling Nature Preserve, visited by thousands of birds of every species, who bask in the sun after diving for fish, and are one of the great natural sights of wildlife in America."

By coincidence, I received this e-mail from a friend who had just returned from there:

"We had a delightful 2 weeks in Sanibel. Temps were in high 80's and water temps were unbelievably warm. Lots of people in the Gulf water.

Boy was it quiet down there. It was great going to restaurants. No wait at all.

You should have seen the shore fishing. It was unbelievable!. The were was so many bait fish to be had. The lady fish were in huge schools. Just as soon as you cast, you may have 3 going for the same minnow. Every cast brought in a fish. Adolf had an incredible experience. He was out about chest deep when dolphins arrived. They didn't scare the fish away. Instead when he caught one and took it off the line he would throw it out and bam he could see the dolphins coming to eat it. It was pretty cool".

When I was there just a few weeks ago the dolphins were coming right up to the shore line to feed in the shallows. I reckon we were no more than 10 feet away from them.

There are great spots all along the coast as other have mentioned but, for me, none come close to Sanibel and Captiva.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 02-11-2012 at 07:13.