Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Advice please

Florida Newbie

Advice please

Hi we are going to orlando in august but have too many choices of villa. Can anyone offer any advice with regards to gated or non gated communities? We have never been before so its all a bit confusing, we do like the look of Tuscan Ridge

Welcome to Ov Vicky, you will find so much information when you read all the threads.

As far as your choice of villa is concerned, you need to ask yourself what is important to you. e.g. location, gated or not (does not make that much difference in the grand scheme of things), south facing pool/deck, shaded lanai/no lanai, luxury cushioned pool furnishings or basic furnishings, 200+ channels on TV's, games room, free international calls included, wifi included, tv's in all bedrooms, plus all the other combinations. You should then be able to form a 'shortlist' from which you can work with. There will probably be many more suggestions and you will be just as confused!!! Go with your gut feeling when an owner responds to you. Ask questions, how old are the photo's on the website, have there been any upgrades etc.etc. Any good owner will answer your queries.

Have fun choosing, this is a great site to choose villas from.

I would agree with Sandra and base your choice on the villa itself and the amenities provided and don't fret too much. I own one home on a gated and guarded community and one home in a non gated community, so I can see it from both sides and I never feel more secure or more at risk in either home.

Just make sure you are sensible and don't leave any valuables on show, close the blinds when you are out and make sure all doors and windows are securely locked. Considering the amount of people who visit Orlando, there is little in the way of crime to make you worry too much, just be aware like you would at home.

Many homes have monitored alarm systems, so use it if there is one installed.

Take a look at the links at the top of this page if you haven't already (Orlando Villas and Orlando Villa Rentals) you will find some fabulous homes in the Orlando Villas Family.

Happy hunting
    Sarah

All good advice, the number one priority for me would be 'pick the home you fall in love with' when your see the replies to your request.

If you are like most people you will be spending 99% of your time in the villa or the parks/malls.

The only time you will see the community is when you drive back and forth to the villa. So unless you want some special feature such as a community pool I would put this lower on my list of deciding factors.

Regards Dave
    Dave Lewis

Florida Savvy
    Google streetview is also a good tool to use. You can get a feel for the area and see how close amenities such as supermarkets or major highways are. For our family, the pool is the most important feature of the house as this is where we spend the most time (my 6 and 9 year olds would rather be in the pool than at the parks), so that is what we tend to look for first. We don't like to be overlooked, so a conservation area or golf course to the rear is a plus and I don't like the back garden area to be fenced in. After that, it is usually the limitations set by the Finance Minister (hubby) that helps to narrow it down.

As others have said, once you have looked at a few properties, you will begin to get a feel for what you do and don't want in a house.

Above all, have fun and you can start to imagine actually being there and anticipating that early morning coffee by the pool.....

I agree with all of the above but as it is your first visit you might also like to look out for an owner that seems helpful and who is willing to offer support. That probably applies to most of the owners on here, but you will get a feel for someone you feel comfortable communicating with.
    Lynne

Hi Vicky, we always stay at Terra Verde which is gated, hubby prefers but doesnt bother me if gated or not... have heard of people being broken into on gated and ungated, wherever you choose just keep blinds closed and use the safe, put expensive things out of sight
    what we liked is the fact is a communal pool even tho the home we stay in usually, has its own its also got a tiki bar so we can relax by the pool with drink in hand... mmmm wish we were there now!
    Liesa