Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flight prices. VA vs everyone else

Florida Chatterbox

Flight prices. VA vs everyone else

Hi

I am continually surprised by some posts on flights. I see people recommending indirect flights, Thomas Cook flights and flights into Sanford.

Whenever I see these comments I always check out some dates next year and am always surprised by the high prices compared to direct Virgin flights from Manchester.

Am I missing something or are the miles plus money flights I search for with VA blowing everyone out of the water?

We are looking to go next October so will be sorting flights out early December.

Also, did i see VA having a sale early December last year?

I've contacted quite a few brokers too (like Pillinger) to get quotes and they aren't cheap either??

There are 10 of us going next October.

Thanks in advance for anyone who replies.

G
    Garry Pullan

Florida Chatterbox freddiehollie's Avatar
    Hi Garry

I've just booked for next August (school holidays) with US Airways, out of Manchester.

Way, way, cheaper than Virgin. We don't mind going via Philly, especially as they were hundreds of £££ cheaper. Also a "far" better baggage allowance[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

Got a price from VA including car £4200, even after my FF discount.

US flight, car from here £3449. For that saving I'm happy to go indirect.
    mike

Florida Chatterbox
    Wow Mike that's unbelievable!

I've tried price comparisons before without success.

So the VA price was miles plus money?

How many passengers did you put in and what dates? I'm going to try it, not because I don't believe you obviously but to get a like or like system going for when the time comes for booking.

Cheers
    Garry Pullan

Gold 5 Star Member
    I don't think there's any doubt that Virgin's fares are pretty consistently the highest from Manchester and, while there is very likely to be a fare sale at Christmas, it won't necessarily cover October 2013. Obviously, having miles to throw into the equation will help and it might be that actually tips the balance towards them although it's difficult to make a true comparison until all the airlines publish their fares for that period.

My own experience has been that it's possible to make real savings by keeping an open mind on carrier/routing and having the patience to hold off until something comes along that suits you and then being ready to jump in. I would expect that for 10 passengers the savings could be very significant doing that.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 18-10-2012 at 03:51.

Florida Savvy
    One of my favorite sites compares all major airlines (so Thompson won't be on there). It is only a comparison site, but gives you all of the booking code info to take to your travel agent. Gives you a good idea of what you can expect to pay. Google 'matrix airfare search' and you want the one from ita software.

I just did a quick check and they don't have info for next October yet, but a departure on Sept. 30th with United and a layover in Newark is currently £501

Hi Garry

Its not miles & money. It's just money. I have "never" been successful at getting M&M with Virgin, as we go during the school holidays. (End August 13)

I've just double checked.... VA now showing £4144.56 (so slightly lower) US Airways £3023.00 (so slightly higher £100) than when I booked

Car from here £482.00 (7 seat People Carrier) We like the space[msnwink]

So I'm nearly £100 better off already & "still" £1200 (ish) cheaper than Virgin[msnwink][msnwink][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

That saving goes a long way towards our Premium Annual Passes.

That saving for your party of 10[clap][clap][clap][beer][beer][beer]

I got those prices Direct from VA & US Airways web sites.....

Just one tip, I always compare US Airways.com, with US Airways.co.uk.... They "Do" vary so i book with the cheaper one....

Sorry Robert, Thank you for spotting my (deliberate) mistake..... Its for 4 people...
    Last edited by freddiehollie; 18-10-2012 at 20:30.
    mike

Gold 5 Star Member
    Am I missing something about how many people travelling for the various prices quoted above?

Sorry Robert, Thank you for spotting my (deliberate) mistake..... Its for 4 people...
    mike

Got prices from VH. For same dates, although they include car hire. (full size, not 7 seater) £4200 even after discounts.

That was from Manchester. They could do slightly better from Gatwick, but they didn't get, that was "No longer" a direct flight for us..........

So its still £750 ish cheaper via Philly. With a better car..... Its another £100 cheaper if I compare with a Full size, from here......

I have to say, I prefer to get flights/car/parking etc booked ASAP, I don't like playing Russian Roulette, hoping I get a better deal.. Once booked I stop looking at Flight prices............ So I can start planning[msnwink][msnwink]

Well that's not really true.[msnsad][msnsad]

Its very difficult not to, but so far, Iv'e never seen flights cheaper than the ones Iv'e booked, with the same airline......
    mike

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freddiehollie View Post

Its very difficult not to, but so far, Iv'e never seen flights cheaper than the ones Iv'e booked, with the same airline......
    I think "with the same airline" is the key phrase there.

I suspect that during the school holidays the airlines are much less likely to reduce their fares as the date approaches because there's high demand and all the discounted fares will be snapped up already. I'm fortunate that I don't have to stick to school holiday dates these days and I can see that my approach might not work as well at those times because the market is much less competitive then. However, I still believe that being flexible on airline choice is wise if you want the very best fare.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 19-10-2012 at 06:53.