Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rental car with slight damage

Florida Junior

Rental car with slight damage

Just wondering about this potential situation....book a car through this site, arrive at mco and use the Alamo kiosks, walk to car park & collect car. The car has some minor damage (say noticable stratches) but I'm happy to drive it anyway.

My question is, do I have to bring this to anybodies attention and get it noted on the rental agreement or is the fact that when booking through here I would have zero excess, so nothing to pay anyway if on return Alamo thought I was responsible.

Thanks

Alan

Gold 5 Star Member
    Always wise to report things like that I'd say. I doubt the insurance would cover that situation.

Outside the few very new ones almost every rental car I've ever used had some minor scratches although I have to admit that I haven't always practiced what I preach and just ignored them. The most common one seems to be on the back where people have obviously been loading heavy bags into the trunk.

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    When using Alamo you drive to a barrier and you note it to the guy there, and they mark it down etc. You cannot leave the carpark without your documents. licence and vehicle being checked.
    CERI

Florida Savvy
    Always get damage noted on the paperwork. You have no proof that it was originally there otherwise.

Florida Junior
    Forgot about the doc check with the guy at the barrier, thanks for replies

Super Moderator
    Definitely not a problem - we had this situation in Washington a while back and made a note of the damage and sorted it out at the exit kiosk.

Last year with Alamo, my Dad had let the person at the barrier know that there was quite a significant scrape on the car and we thought it would all be noted down. When we returned the car, they flagged it up as damage that had been caused by my Dad and it took ages to sort out. The barrier check person hadn't actually noted that there was damage and the manager said that the car should have been in the garage to be fixed instead of back out for hire!

So...always let people know of any damage and always make sure that they take note!

Quite difficult when it's dark and you've just come off a long haul flight mind you!

Personally I wouldn't accept a car with a significant scrape.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieW View Post
    Last year with Alamo, my Dad had let the person at the barrier know that there was quite a significant scrape on the car and we thought it would all be noted down. When we returned the car, they flagged it up as damage that had been caused by my Dad and it took ages to sort out. The barrier check person hadn't actually noted that there was damage and the manager said that the car should have been in the garage to be fixed instead of back out for hire!

So...always let people know of any damage and always make sure that they take note!

Quite difficult when it's dark and you've just come off a long haul flight mind you!

There wasn't a great deal of choice - infact only 2. Live and learn though.

Florida Chatterbox
    If you are taking the car then have a walk round and take pics of noticeable defects. they will then be date and time stamped on your camera as proof that they existed when you collected the car.

But always go for the cleanest one on the lot that suits you if you can.