Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Unexpected Journey - Chapter 8

Florida Junior

An Unexpected Journey - Chapter 8

An Unexpected Journey – Chapter 8

Thursday September 6th

So, here it is, the final chapter… an unexpected journey finally coming to a close – it is truly right what your parents tell you in that, the older you get the quicker time passes….

That blasted air conditioning got the better of me one last time in that I woke up early to the sound of torrential rain only to find the sun poking it’s nose over the horizon and clear skies. I decided to get up and make the most of it. Had a coffee out on the sun desk and, again, just sat reflecting for a little while enjoying the last hours being in my favourite place in the world.

We needed to be out of the villa by 10am so got our final packing done and loaded the cases up in to the car.

Once the 10am deadline arrived we set off with a little time to kill so stopped off for breakfast at Ponda Rosa. Had a mooch in the nearby sports shop buying myself a T-shirt and a couple of new caps and then it was time to head for Sanford.

The drive up to the airport was pretty uneventful and we were there in good time. Got the car back to Alamo, got checked in and headed into departures.

The kids remembered that last time we were here we had nachos so could we do it again? Why not eh?! I even remembered the same cheerful waitress who seemed to lover her job and customers very much (announcing “YAY!” every time she brought something to the table) from our visit in June 2009.

Angela and I browed duty free and stocked up on the obligatory aftershave & perfume and before long the flight was announced and ready to board. Just then the heavens opened and it absolutely lashed down – the runway looked about an inch deep in water and it was seeping through the boarding tunnel to the plane. Time for a sharp exit I thought!

We got away on time and had to battle our way through a couple of storm clouds before things calmed down but after that it was plain sailing (flying) all the way back over the Atlantic to North East England and a chilly Newcastle….

Florida Junior
    Epilogue

Once we collected our bags and cleared customs it was fantastic to be met by my little brother (the kids wacky Uncle) and his fiancé who I’d not seen for 2 years at Newcastle International Airport. They had arrived from New Zealand a couple of weeks ago and were due to get married in Scotland in just a few days.

So, before we had time to acclimatise or get our bearings we unpacked, packed and headed off to Dumfries a couple of days later. All went really well and we’re all now well and truly back to ‘normality’ so I’ve been reflecting a little on the last three weeks.

A two week holiday in Florida this year followed by seeing my little brother married are things that weren’t on my radar and definitely not in my thoughts when I was diagnosed with my illness in February this year. Seven months later I now feel so lucky to have been able to enjoy both experiences and look forward to the future with renewed optimism. I wouldn’t say I’m a changed person but when faced with situations like this it is quite sobering and definitely a reality check.

We haven’t yet planned our next holiday or visit to Florida. I think our days of package holidays are over but there are other things to consider like a trip to New Zealand to visit my brother. Me and the wife would also like to do a mini-break to NYC at some point and whilst out in Florida we both agreed that once the kids get to the ‘I don’t want to go on holiday with my parents’ stage we would like to do a Florida fly-drive holiday and visit the Keys, Miami and the likes.

Florida is still definitely my favourite place in the world – I really do think I could live and settle there – if only the idea wasn’t so impractical. However, if I came in to a bit of money I would like to invest in a holiday home – Seeing all your lovely properties on here really makes me jealous and want a place of my own out there.

So, that’s me pretty much done and dusted. Hope the trip reports have been enjoyable to read. As I’ve said before I selfishly write them for me first and foremost to allow me to look back on our time in the sunshine state but am glad it brings a smile to a face or two out there on the Orlando Villa forums who can relate to the stories or are waiting to journey out there themselves.

Til next time…
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1070247.jpg  

As someone who has never been to Florida i really enjoyed reading about your exploits on holiday Dave. We are going as a family in june next year for our first holiday in Florida....and from what i've read so far i am very much looking forward to our first trip to the sunshine state .
    I certainly appreciate your time and effort and thank you very much...and i hope you keep well.

Loved the reports. Florida is a highly addictive place to visit. Every time the wife brings up holiday time i say Florida. Never fails. We always go back. Friends always ask us to travel with them to other places but We stick to Florida. Love it. Hope in near future to buy a holiday Home. Next on my wish list.
    Randy Johnston

Florida Chatterbox
    Great reports I really enjoyed reading them. Thank you.

Hey Dave, thankyou so much for taking the time and effort to do a trip report for us... my next florida trip is 378 days to go and i need a break NOW!! so your trip has kept me going... thanks again and good luck for the future xx
    Liesa

Florida Chatterbox
    Have loved reading your reports too. I agree with your reasons about writing the reports, it brings it all back!!
    Margaret

Florida Savvy
    You're trip reports were really great. Thank you for taking the time to do them!

Florida Savvy
    Thanks for taking the time and effort to write ur reports, I've just spent the last 2 hours reading them and I must say I really enjoyed them, best of health for the future
    Ian Mcc

Florida Chatterbox
    Dave,
    You know your report sounds exactly like our earlier trips to Florida and I can't believe that we managed like you to fit in all those parks in a two week break! I couldn't do it now, much as I still enjoy the parks one or two in a fortnight is plenty!
    Thanks for sharing, and it sounds like you have some great memories.
    Andy