Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Confused about returning car with/without full tank of petrol

Florida Chatterbox

Confused about returning car with/without full tank of petrol

Hi, we are almost at the end of our holiday here and something is nagging me about returning the car back. I know we should have had the option to return the car either full or empty of fuel but I think in my exhausted state I agreed to return the car empty!! What I need to know is what if the tank is half full, will I only get charged for half a tank? I have a horrible feeling I'm going to be charged for a full tank aren't I ?

Florida Savvy
    Do you not pay for your tank of petrol on collection? In which case you've already paid!

It should be on your paperwork from hire desk weather you prepayed for fuel or not.

I've found it a little puzzling too. Until our last trip, we've always gone for the gold option, which meant you already had a tank of fuel paid for, and it doesn't matter what level the tank is when you bring it back. There was nothing more to pay. On our last trip, we went for the silver option, which as far as I could see, meant that you either had to bring it back full, or you would be charged for a refill or top up at the hire company's rates.

At the check in desk, we were offered the choice of doing this or paying in advance for a full tank at a preferential rate less than that which would be charged on return, if the tank needed refilled on our return. (at least that's what we assumed they meant.) That then meant the best value would, in theory, be to return the car empty as we had already paid for a full tank at "normal prices".

What this seemed to ignore was that you probably will return the car wiith about a quarter of a tank for which you would receive no credit. I don't really have the patience to work this all out so in future we will go for the gold option.
    Last edited by Tonish; 15-09-2012 at 23:24.
    Tonish

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonish View Post

What this seemed to ignore was that you probably will return the car wiith about a quarter of a tank for which you would receive no credit.
    And for which the next renter will also pay and so and so on resulting in the rental firm selling that residual quantity of petrol many times over. In the great scheme of things it's not a great loss to the individual but I would imagine the companies do quite nicely out of it.

Florida Expert
    That's why I liked the Alamo retrun full option - becasue then you only pay for fuel you use at normal pump prices.
    Jo

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonish View Post
    I've found it a little puzzling too. Until our last trip, we've always gone for the gold option, which meant you already had a tank of fuel paid for, and it doesn't matter what level the tank is when you bring it back. There was nothing more to pay. On our last trip, we went for the silver option, which as far as I could see, meant that you either had to bring it back full, or you would be charged for a refill or top up at the hire company's rates.

At the check in desk, we were offered the choice of doing this or paying in advance for a full tank at a preferential rate less than that which would be charged on return, if the tank needed refilled on our return. (at least that's what we assumed they meant.) That then meant the best value would, in theory, be to return the car empty as we had already paid for a full tank at "normal prices".

What this seemed to ignore was that you probably will return the car wiith about a quarter of a tank for which you would receive no credit. I don't really have the patience to work this all out so in future we will go for the gold option.
    That's exactly what I mean, we were offered the same as you and as I said, I was pretty tired from the flight so I just agreed to what the agent said. Like you I will probably go for the gold option if we get the chance to go again.
    Margaret

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    If you are with alamo either return it as empty as possible, or full it up close to the airport and when you return it tell them it is full (make sure you have your petrol receipt) and they should not charge you for the tank full you signed for on collection. Half a tank will considered to be an empty tank.
    Lyn