Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Unexpected Journey - Chapter 1

Florida Junior

An Unexpected Journey - Chapter 1

Prologue is here if you would like to read the background to this trip.

Chapter 1

Thursday August 23rd

So, following the ritual of pre-holiday KFC and watching DVDs the night beforehand we all eventually got to bed and before we knew it the time was 6.30am, the kids got up before they woke up and it was time to head off to Newcastle International Airport.

Flight looked to be on time and again, pre-holiday rituals dictated full English breakfast. The time passed pretty quick and before we knew it we were off on our travels again.

The flight itself seemed to drag a bit but was generally quite uneventful, I tried to watch The Hunger Games on the plane but no matter how hard I try I just can’t get away with watching movies on a plane. We landed at Sanford around 2.45pm local time which I much prefer over MCO as it’s such as small and less busy airport…

We hit immigration which is normally a part I hate – I always feel so guilty for some reason and the staff always seem to take their jobs soooooooo seriously. However, on this occasion we actually got a pretty cool fella – he joked at our inability to complete our immigration form and threatened to keep Jack (my youngest) for the duration and make him clean toilets for a fortnight just for looking cheeky. I didn't quite know whether to joke along with him or just let him have him bit fun. I then imagined me stepping 'over the mark' and being face down on the floor with my hands behind my back in an instant so just let him have his moment.

We grabbed our bags and headed for the Alamo Office. Whilst sorting the paperwork out I was passing the time of day with the clerk and asked about the weather. She suggested we made the most of the weekend as the hurricane was due to hit in two days’ time!!! My heart sank….

Anyways, we picked up our Jeep Grand Cherokee – which I was suitably impressed with – without any issues and headed off toward our villa. Following one of those ‘I should have gone with my gut instincts over road signs moments’ and therefore a ‘slight detour we hit the I4 and headed toward the 192, onto the US27 and arrived at our villa in Glenbrook around 4.30pm

Did the usual villa exploration routine of running round checking every room out (come on, I know you’ve all done it before?!) and we all agreed that it was very impressive. We then headed off to Walmart at Cagan Crossing to stock up on provisions. Got back to the villa, made a quick snack, chilled out for a couple of hours and that was about as long as we could last before our eyelids were coming down like roller shutters…

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pic1.jpg  
    Last edited by davealsop; 09-09-2012 at 10:40.

Florida Junior
    Friday August 24th

By 7:30am we were all wide awake, having breakfast and deciding what to do. Watching the weather channel confirmed what the lady at Alamo had told us the day before in that Tropical Storm Isaac was leaving Haiti and heading toward the Florida Keys and should be with us by Monday evening. Yikes!

With that in mind we thought we best get at least a couple of parks in before ‘battening down the hatches’.

Now my kids aren’t overly keen on the big thrill rides and following an ‘incident’ with my youngest Jack on Journey to Atlantis at Seaworld three years ago (he thought it was a leisurely boat ride through the pretty waters and just about passed out when it went all dark and we dropped about 50ft) it just about put him off any park rides for life. We thought Magic Kingdom would be a reasonably safe starting point so off we went…

The day went pretty well and we even managed to get the kids on Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain Railroad (a first) and they loved it. Did a few more rides and shows including Mickeys Philharmagic 3D (which never gets old) and The Haunted Mansion and then hopped with a trip on the ol’ steamboat in the blistering sun. By about 3pm we were flagging a little so decided to call it a day.

We got back to the villa, were about to go in the pool just as the heavens opened and it rained solidly for about 2 hours. So we grabbed a bit to eat and Jack indulged himself in WWE Friday night Smackdown instead. We were all tired again by about 10pm so called it a day

We also unfortunately forgot the camera that day so I don't have any photos. So, here's a random holiday photo to fill the gap...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pic2.jpg  
    Last edited by davealsop; 09-09-2012 at 10:41.

Love your reports and this is great as usual. Random picture is not visible, broken thread.
    Jan

Florida Newbie
    I loved reading the start of your report, especially as I too have had to wait a few years between trips (100 days and counting!!!!).
    It is a bit un nerving when the customs guys have a joke with you. We had a really chatty and jokey one last time and just like you I was too scared to make a quip back. I could feel my wifes eyes burning into the back of my head with that "Nooooo don't do it" look

Nick

Loving your report Dave, looking forward to the next installment
    Caroline & Dave

Keep them coming pleeeese!

Am enjoying your trip report please keep them coming

Dave, I think you put the film in your camera back to front!
    Dave.

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!
    Last edited by E. Cosgrove; 09-09-2012 at 20:29.

Liz

Florida Chatterbox DisneyPrincess's Avatar

An Unexpected Journey - Chapter 1

Great reports!