Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pier Fishing

wrpac00

Pier Fishing

I have done quite a lot of Pier Fishing this summer - Jetty Park, Daytona etc. If you don't want the huge expenses of charter fishing it can be quite good. Have caught up to a 3' Hammerhead this summer and you can do it for free as fishing off of a pier does not require a saltwater license.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrpac00 View Post
    I have done quite a lot of Pier Fishing this summer - Jetty Park, Daytona etc. If you don't want the huge expenses of charter fishing it can be quite good. Have caught up to a 3' Hammerhead this summer and you can do it for free as fishing off of a pier does not require a saltwater license.
    Not correct I am afraid - unless you are a Florida resident(claiming Florida as your main Residence) and are over 65 or under 16.

Florida law states that certain anglers are required to purchase and possess a Florida Saltwater Fishing license any time they are fishing in the saltwater areas of the state. But not every angler is required to carry this license. Exceptions to this requirement are those anglers who are under the age of 16 and over the age of 64 as long as they have proof of their Florida residency and age, members of the Armed Forces who are residents of Florida and home or on leave for up to 30 days, anyone who can prove that they are a developmental disabilities services client with the Children and Family Services, a resident who fishes in saltwater while on land or on a structure that is fixed to land. The exemptions also pertain to anyone who fishes from a vessel that is considered for-hire such as a charter boat, a guide boat or a party boat and has the proper valid vessel license, anyone who fishes from a vessel that is properly licensed in the name of the operator of that vessel, anyone holding a saltwater products license, anyone who holds pier saltwater fishing license and fishes from a pier, anyone who fishes saltwater fish from a freshwater location while on land or on a structure fixed to land, anyone who fishes for mullet in freshwater and holds a Florida Freshwater Fishing License and finally, anyone who is employed by the commission and has to take fish as part of their duties with the commission or for scientific or educational purposes. Residents of Florida can choose from a Gold Sportsman's License, Military Gold Sportsman's License, Annual Saltwater Fishing License, Saltwater and Freshwater Fishing Combination and Saltwater License, Freshwater Fishing and Hunting Combination License. Residents of Florida can also choose to purchase a Lifetime or a Five-Year License. If the resident purchases one of these licenses the license remains valid even if the holder of the license moves to another state. Lifetime Licenses can be purchased by parents, grandparents and family friends for the special young person in their life and the cost of the licenses depends on the age of the person for which it is being bought. These Lifetime and Five Year Licenses include the Lifetime Sportsman's License, Lifetime Saltwater Fishing License or a Five-Year Saltwater Fishing License.
    Non-Residents of Florida can choose from an Annual Saltwater Fishing License, a 3-Day Saltwater Fishing License or a 7-Day Saltwater Fishing License.
    My place is on the beach and I fish all the time from the Beach or a friends pier; and have to have a license. I have also been asked for my licence a couple of times; albeit in many years of fishing.

You can get a license in Walmart for a week or up to a year.

Incidentally at 3ft long the shark would almost certainly be a Bonnethead shark, a member of the Hammerhead family, but timid and is rarely more that 4Ft in length; very common in Florida. At times almost every cast catches one.
    Last edited by Robert5988; 09-09-2012 at 16:31.

wrpac00
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert5988 View Post
    Not correct I am afraid - unless you are a Florida resident(claiming Florida as your main Residence) and are over 65 or under 16.

My place is on the beach and I fish all the time from the Beach or a friends pier; and have to have a license. I have also been asked for my licence a couple of times; albeit in many years of fishing.

You can get a license in Walmart for a week or up to a year.

Incidentally at 3ft long the shark would almost certainly be a Bonnethead shark, a member of the Hammerhead family, but timid and is rarely more that 4Ft in length; very common in Florida. At times almost every cast catches one.
    Long time since we had a run in Robert and as usual your 100% wrong again, never mind maybe one day you might be right.

I do have a yearly saltwater license and have had one for the past 5 years but have never been asked for it. Piers on the other hand buy a license and therefore anyone fishing on a pier DOES NOT NEED ONE, they even have signs at the front of the piers informing you of that. Taken from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission website under license exemptions.

You fish for recreational purposes from a pier with a valid pier saltwater fishing license.

I have caught a number of Bonnetheads so I know what they look like and the fish I mentioned was a definately a Hammerhead.
    Last edited by wrpac00; 09-09-2012 at 20:43.

My husband and his friend spend days every holiday fishing of Reddington Beach Pier, they are usually there by about 9.00 and stay until 5.00 or 6.00 in the evening, they just love it and I think it is now the highlight of my husbands trip to Florida. They dont have to have a license or anything must be included in the price of the days fishing off the pier.
    Val

Actually you are both correct but not all piers are free, those that are, are usually large public ones. The rest need a license.
    Florida residents can a get a free shoreline license. Non residents should to buy a license, this came into effect in 2009. The following two links have the correct information.

http://myfwc.com/license/recreationa...eed-a-license/

http://myfwc.com/license/recreationa...reline-faqs/#1

Quote Originally Posted by wrpac00 View Post
    Long time since we had a run in Robert and as usual your 100% wrong again, never mind maybe one day you might be right.

I do have a yearly saltwater license and have had one for the past 5 years but have never been asked for it. Piers on the other hand buy a license and therefore anyone fishing on a pier DOES NOT NEED ONE, they even have signs at the front of the piers informing you of that. Taken from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission website under license exemptions.

You fish for recreational purposes from a pier with a valid pier saltwater fishing license.

I have caught a number of Bonnetheads so I know what they look like and the fish I mentioned was a definately a Hammerhead.

wrpac00
    Quote Originally Posted by florida4sun View Post
    Actually you are both correct but not all piers are free, those that are, are usually large public ones. The rest need a license.
    Florida residents can a get a free shoreline license. Non residents should to buy a license, this came into effect in 2009. The following two links have the correct information.

http://myfwc.com/license/recreationa...eed-a-license/

http://myfwc.com/license/recreationa...reline-faqs/#1
    We are both not right, Robert said you need a license to fish on ALL piers which is totally incorrect. All the piers I have fished on this summer (6 of them) and also Reddington Pier from what Val said were free, as yet I have not found one I need a license for but as I also fish from the shore and also on the inland water ways I also have a yearly saltwater license.

See, this is the issue I always find ... if you are going to be really picky and try to pick up an error that someone has made, apparently just for the sake of it/to make you look better/to flatter your own ego/for whatever reason ... then you better make absolutely sure that you are absolutely 100% correct.

I have read and re-read Robert's post, Paul, and I can find no point where he states that "you need a license to fish on ALL piers".

Now ... I suggest that everyone plays nice, or I'll lock this thread as there is plenty of information for those interested about the subject available in it. There is absolutely no need for any petty arguments to be drawn out - that only serves to spread negativity and does none of the posters any credit or the forum any favours.

Now, move along.
    Euan

wrpac00
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP View Post
    See, this is the issue I always find ... if you are going to be really picky and try to pick up an error that someone has made, apparently just for the sake of it/to make you look better/to flatter your own ego/for whatever reason ... then you better make absolutely sure that you are absolutely 100% correct.

I have read and re-read Robert's post, Paul, and I can find no point where he states that "you need a license to fish on ALL piers".

Now ... I suggest that everyone plays nice, or I'll lock this thread as there is plenty of information for those interested about the subject available in it. There is absolutely no need for any petty arguments to be drawn out - that only serves to spread negativity and does none of the posters any credit or the forum any favours.

Now, move along.

I think you need to re-read it. How you come up with the fact that I am picky and Robert isn't is beyond me. Robert is telling me what fish I caught and he wasn't even there!!!!!!!!!!

If Robert had made a similar style post, I'd have said exactly the same. You had already replied once to Robert's message and apart from rolling my eyes, I held my tongue at that point.

Personally I don't care who it is that said what, I can't be bothered with it so it stops now. If the two of you want to have a petty squabble over semantics then perhaps do it in the privacy of an exchange of private messages.
    Euan

Well said Euan - no need for any squabbling