Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tolls !!!!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Florida Newbie

Tolls !!!!!!

Hi cant seem to get this clear in my mind. Hiring from Alamo next year. Will the vehicle be already set up to go thro tolls. Do they have these transponders built in or do the cameras read the number plates. Do I have to do anything else. Buy anything else off Alamo. Can't seem to get definitive answer or perhaps I am over thinking this thing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Colin[8)]

Simple answer is you do NOTHING.

Just drive the car through the 'Express' lanes at each toll booth.

The toll system will send your charges to Alamo who will added them to your credit card bill. They will add a charge of $2 per day for the first 3 days of use. After that you are only charged for the tolls you use.

Simple

Regards Dave
    Dave Lewis

Florida Newbie
    Thanks for the question Colin and for the simple answer Dave.

It's a few years since my last visit and I recall getting "stuck" at a toll with no personell and no change, car behind kindly helped us "stupid Brits"!!!! I was reading one of the other threads about this subject and it did seem very complicated with Transponders, sun passes etc.
    Does this just apply to Alamo, or all large rental companies? I've rented through Charter Travel and cant remember which company they have quoted me for?

Nick

Florida Savvy
    Yes when u say just use express lanes,that means slowing down and bearing right to go thru express lanes at 25mph...cant we just stay on main carriageway and the camera pings the car plate that way?
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    Simple answer is you do NOTHING.

Just drive the car through the 'Express' lanes at each toll booth.

The toll system will send your charges to Alamo who will added them to your credit card bill. They will add a charge of $2 per day for the first 3 days of use. After that you are only charged for the tolls you use.

Simple

Regards Dave

Quote Originally Posted by drino View Post
    Yes when u say just use express lanes,that means slowing down and bearing right to go thru express lanes at 25mph...cant we just stay on main carriageway and the camera pings the car plate that way?

OK, How about this.

Just go through any lane that does not have a barrier or someone to take the toll money from you.

It's impossible to give you more details as some tolls have a different layout.

Dave
    Dave Lewis

Florida Newbie
    I have just read this thread and found it useful. Having collected my car from Alamo last night and not knowing about this idea of just driving through tolls I found that the first toll I went through would not accept my change. I had no option but to drive on but was flashed by the camera. Will I get a fine for this? Is there a course of action I should take? There were a number of other Brits walking about the toll station in a real panic not knowing what to do. It was quite comical actually.
    budvar

Quote Originally Posted by gofer View Post
    I have just read this thread and found it useful. Having collected my car from Alamo last night and not knowing about this idea of just driving through tolls I found that the first toll I went through would not accept my change. I had no option but to drive on but was flashed by the camera. Will I get a fine for this? Is there a course of action I should take? There were a number of other Brits walking about the toll station in a real panic not knowing what to do. It was quite comical actually.
    See DaveL's post above to put your mind at rest. My son done the same last and it was just added to his credit card as explained by Dave. No fine or punishment.
    Keith

All the tolls that we went through last week when we left the airport on the way to the villa were manned and they gave us change but only up to the limit of $20 and when we apologised to the first lady for the $20 bill she was very nice about it and not at all grumpy. we then had the change to use at the other tolls along the way.
    Wendy

It really is a 'drive and forget' system with Alamo. Just drive out the airport and use the express lanes for the entire hoilday. Forget about tolls or having change at hand.

No fines and a simple $6 charge for the entire service, plus the cost of the tolls. This is how car hire should be.

Dave
    Dave Lewis

Florida Savvy
    Yes my only question on this is,the very first toll booth on 417 south you come to,you dont just stay on main carriageway at 60mph do you?
    You have to slow down and bear right and go through sunpass lane to trigger the alamo transponder?
    correct or not?