Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Christmas & New Year

Florida Newbie

Christmas & New Year

We have visited before but this is our first Christmas (19th Dec through to 2nd Jan). Is there a "must do" place to celebrate New Year or is it a case of selecting your favorite theme park?

Thanks

Nick

Nick,

We've done MK on New Years and it is definitely worth doing as a bucket list type event! The park is HEAVING and you have to get in early or be really lucky to get in as the park will get full and they will close the gates. Then expect to spend the whole day hardly able to move, not really able to get on any rides (without a ridiculous wait), make sure you have dining reservations, etc, etc ... just when you are flagging towards the evening then they will start handing out plastic hats and hooters and then it gets really, really noisy. The parades are just like ridiculously busy ... but then ... midnight comes, the fireworks go off over the castle and the lake in unison and it is just amazing! To top it all off, the atmosphere is unmatchable and it is a completely dry event!

Oh ... and then you start to queue to get out.

But, despite all the negatives, it is so, so worth it to do it ... just the once!

Apart from that, Celebration may have events, Kissimmee lake is also meant to be really good.
    Euan

Florida Newbie
    Thanks Euan,

Sounds like we need to get down the gym and go into training

Nick

Epcot is almost as good, but not quite as busy.

You also get to celebrate new year a number of times with the Countries of the World.
    Graham

Gold 5 Star Member
    We have had a few good New Years at Celebration, their events are free so if it rains or gets too crowded you can leave. A couple of years ago (on my recommendation) my niece went and they had cut back and didnt have the live bands or fireworks , so I felt quite guilty, but I saw they had reinstated them last year so am ssure you would have a good night there. The fireworks when we went rivalled the Disney park ones and were spectacular.
    Babblin Boo

Super Moderator
    The men like to watch the bowl games over New Year but we have also been to watch ice hockey over at Tampa. There is a definite disadvantage to being the only female in the group at times!!

Florida Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jill View Post
    The men like to watch the bowl games over New Year but we have also been to watch ice hockey over at Tampa. There is a definite disadvantage to being the only female in the group at times!!
    LOL, it's the opposite for me, I have three daughters, so plenty of retail therepy inbetween cruise nights at Old Town.