Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: No credit card

Florida Newbie

No credit card

Hello forum,I am looking for some advice on car hire ,I have been to Florida a few times and when I have picked up my car I have had to give the guy on the desk my credit card so he can swipe it.This time I don't have any form of credit cards just debit cards.Can anyone tell me if this will cause me a problem?

Hi, at the national car hire desk at sanford ( two weeks ago) i saw a sign saying they accept debit cards, maybe you can email them to make sure! Hope this helps!

Hi, have you seen this thread?

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums...659#post686659

I started this after my friend was in the same situation as yourself. Despite the mention of several hundred dollars being held in reserve from his account, he had nothing taken or held in reserve at all.
    Dave.

Gold 5 Star Member
    It might be a good idea to check with your particular rental company in advance as to whether debit cards are OK and, ideally, get some form of written confirmation. There seems to have been a lot of different forum members' experiences on this one.

I would definitely check as my sister had this problem in Europe - they eventually took her debit card but they charged something like 1000 euro against it and then refunded it back onto her card when they returned the car. Trouble was that the exchange rate differed between the buy and sell rates so she ended up getting a good deal less in ££s refunded then had been charged in the first place.

She was not a happy bunny - and luckily she had enough money in her bank account so that the original charge did not cause her to become overdrawn!!!

I only have a debit card and never have a problem They sometimes ask to see my passport and ticket home. I arrived this week and used my debit without any issues.I booked through Florda Car Hire on this site with Alamo. I have used it many times and never had any trouble at all.
    Angela

wrpac00
    IMO CC's are a must for emergencies especially medical ones.

Gold 5 Star Member
    We don't have credit cards either and use our debit card for car hire with no problem in the US. Different story in Europe
    Jan&Steve

Administrator
    Alamo and National are fine with Debit cards provided you show a return flight ticket (sometimes they don't ask for this). One thing that has come to light, and explains a reason some customers had problems with the Alamo kiosk is that a debit card cannot be used if you are using the kiosk. This must be credit card only.

My son who is under 25 is travelling tomorrow and unfortunately does not have a credit card. We have prepaid his debit card and hopefully this would have been ok. However found a company on another forum who deal with young persons and it has cost us $30 dollars more but they pick him up at the airport and return him and the car will be on our drive. Peace of mind knowing he will have a car. Will update tomorrow when he arrives at the villa. However if we go out the following week not competive but very good for young drivers under 25.