Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Highlands Reserve?

Florida Junior

Highlands Reserve?

Hi

Could anyone recommend me the Highlands Reserve community. I'm looking at a couple of villas there for next August and wanted to know a bit more about it first.

Firstly are the majority of villas within walking distance to the shops and restaurants on the community? What actual shops and restaurants do they have on the community? Is it a friendly safe community too?

Any other info greatly appreciated.
    Regards
    Lee

Highlands Reserve is a great location, I don't think there are any shops on the community but I believe there is a way of walking from the community to Berry Town Center and there is a supermarket, a few restaurants, and shops there. Although in August it will be a VERY hot walk! If it's important for you to be able to walk to the shops then I would think it advisable to request a villa on the shop side of the community as it will be a long walk if you're on the far side.
    Caroline & Dave

Florida Chatterbox
    Just be careful you don't get one that backs onto sand mine road unless you want an early wake up call with the endless parade of trucks going to the mine. I would still go back though as that road was the only negative we found.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Lee - I'm obviously posting this with a bit of a vested interest, so take everything that follows as written by someone looking through rose tinted spectacles ...

Caroline has given you quite a good summary. The walk across to Berry Town Centre (with the shops, bars and restaurants) is via the Back Entrance to Highlands Reserve. We love it as a way to go out for something to eat or drink without having to worry about anyone driving. That way everyone gets to have a beer or two and nobody needs to worry about being behind a wheel. I'd say it's maybe a five minute walk across to the shops, and maybe 60 seconds or so more to Applebees (2 for 1 beers including the Sam Adams - excellent!)

The villas can be a fair bit different depending on which part/phase of the community you are on. I won't bore you with history here as it's not that interesting to most, but if you do want the send-you-to-sleep full description of absolutely everything, just send me a DM.

The golf club house does some lovely paninis if you just want a quick lunch; and they have a phone-ahead service as well. If you give them a call they'll have it ready and waiting for you. If you want a takeaway in the evening I would heartily recommend the sesame chicken from the Chinese takeaway next to Publix. It's so nice it's become one of the first things we think of when we start planning our next trip. Can you believe it ... with all the places to eat in and around Orlando the first thing we usually think of is the sesame chicken, and then Raglan Road. Mmmmm.

I don't know how one measures if it is friendly or not? I think it's friendly. There are usually people around the communal pool and they've always seemed very friendly to us. Anyone out for a walk or a jog will always say Hello (breathing permitting for the joggers) Similarly, if you head down for a bit of a knock around on the tennis courts, if someone is already on there and has been there for a while they'll often give up the court when they see you waiting. Although to be honest, after we've been playing for even 15 minutes in the summer I'd happily give up the court to anyone in order to cool down for a bit with a nice swim.

It's quite a pretty place for a walk around in the evening if you want a bit of a stretch after a day by the pool. It has a pavement too, so you aren't walking in the road.

Safety wise, I think it's about as safe as anywhere. We have a bit of a bonus on HR in that the sheriffs often like to park up on the car park next to the tennis court. I think Kyle in the golf club tops up their coffee for them, and it's a nice shady area. The bonus to HR is that if anything did happen (say a monitored alarm was triggered) as soon as the call goes through to the sheriff there's a chance that the officers could be at the premises in a matter of seconds. I'm not a criminal so can't claim to know how they think, or even if they do think, but if they do I think this would put them off.

I'm not sure what else to add. If you want any really specific answers, just post a follow-on question or three and we'll all do our best to answer.

And to come complete circle ... do take all the above in the context of being written by someone who owns a place on HR.
    Steve

Florida Junior
    Thank you very much for all the info, much appreciated. I'll get back to you once I am closer to making my final decision on which villa.

Cheers
    Lee

Florida Junior
    Hi

I've found a villa on Prestwick Drive on the Highland Reserve community overlooking a conservation area and just wondered how far you think this is from Applebys etc and is it far enough away from the sand mine trucks and there route in and out for plenty of peace and quiet?
    Also has anyone got any other views on this area/community - look forward to hearing from you. Are there any other communities near here that you would recommend ahead of Highland Reserve and why?

Many thanks for all theinfo so far.
    Lee

Gold 5 Star Member
    Sadly Lee Prestwick is about as far away from the Sand Mine Rd Entrance as you can get on Highlands Reserve.

To be close to the restaurants and bars, the closest roads to look for are, (from memory - so any other HR people correct me on this) ... North Hampton Drive, Huntingdale Court, Maitland Court, Higher Combe Drive, Bonville Drive and Churchill.
    Steve

Florida Chatterbox
    One of the forum contributors had his Highlands Reserve villa burgled. They took everything.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums...ighlight=Garry

He maintains that it wouldn't deter him from going to HR again though.

We love Highlands Reserve. Most of the villas we have rented there, have been fantastic.

Btw, from Prestwick Dr, it would take around 15-20 minutes to walk to Publix at Berry Town Centre.
    Last edited by Father; 27-08-2012 at 00:09.

Florida Junior
    Hi, thanks for the replys, much appreciated. We have decided to book one on Highland Reserve that looks great.

Yes I read something about a burglary there which is not good news but I still believe this could happen anywhere and on any community. My sister has stayed here a few times too and had a great time and always lovely villas so we have some great recommendations.

Thanks again

Florida Junior
    Hi again

I've just read the thread about Garrys robbery and its made me a little uneasy with the Highlands Reserve community.
    I havent paid a deposit yet, should I really keep looking somewhere else maybe a gated community - any advice welcome.

Thanks