Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sat Nav directions

Florida Chatterbox

Sat Nav directions

Hi we have hired Sat Nav, villa and car hire from this site (of course)
    We have just had the villa information sent to us from the owners of the villa which include directions from MCO to the villa. Now my knowledge of Sat Navs is not
    extensive, do I trust the Sat Nav or follow the directions I have been sent? Would the directions be the same?
    Thanks
    Margaret

Directions may wel be different but the sat nav is probably best if you are new to the area. You have hired it, so may as well use it

I used sat nav for the 1st time last year with my son and his family as there were so many places we wanted to go, it never let us down once. After leaving Disney World Pirates and Pals Fireworks Voyage quite late we thought it had got us lost as we seemed to be going through the backwoods and started to get a bit worried but it just chose a route we wouldn't have thought of so it's route might not be the obvious.

I would always rely on one again.

Regards

Keith

We have our own sat nav with maps of the US and Europe. We use it a lot and must admit it has taken us on lots of routes that we wouldn't normally have thought of but that have worked out great. I'd follow the route it suggests until you are familiar with the area.
    Jim

Gold 5 Star Member
    Margaret - You probably need to ask this question of your villa owner. Here's why ...

If it were the directions we send, I would say use those in preference to the sat nav's directions; but have the sat nav handy at the same time.

The directions we send our guests from the airport to the villa would be different to those a sat nav would choose as they are a few miles longer. The sat nav would also predict that its route would be faster, but would lose nine time out of ten as it isn't taking account of traffic and traffic lights. Nor is it taking account of how difficult, or easy, the drive is - things like how many left turns you have to make, how many roads you'll hit that are absolutely chokka with traffic.

We took a different approach to directions for our guests. We figure that your holiday is supposed to be a really wonderful experience. This should start a long time before you travel, and it should *definitely* include the journey from the airport to the villa. We know that most of our guests flying over from the UK will be tired after a long journey so we've specifically worked out what we believe is the easiest, most pleasant drive to the villa.

If your owner has put the same care and attention into the details they send you, then IMHO you are probably better off going with the owner's local knowledge. If your owner has just pulled the directions off Google maps, you may as well use the sat nav. Only your owner can tell you this.
    Steve

Florida Savvy
    would be interested to know what a sat nav tells you to do from MCO to say the 192 area, we send our guests a written description with photos that uses the 417 down to celebration, I know this has toll booths but it is amuch easier route thatn using the I4.

Gold 5 Star Member
    From memory Cash I think they'll recommend 528 -> I-4 -> 192.

You couldn't choose three busier roads of you tried!

MCO South Exit to 417 would be my route of choice too; but I'd avoid recommending the Celebration exit as the tolls there are unmanned so if guests don't have a few quarters handy it could create a bit of a worry. Chances are that guests will, and it won't, but I figured with tired guests arriving after long flights, why take the chance?
    Steve

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks for the replies, I just worry in case the Sat Nav takes a while to "fire up" when we first get there.
    I will contact our villa owner and ask him

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I just worry in case the Sat Nav takes a while to "fire up" when we first get there.
    I will contact our villa owner and ask him
    Margaret you could be quite right ours took a little while to kick in so have a map handy. Once we had reached the airport perimeter it was running fine. We took ours with us so it was pre-programmed.

We did find it invaluable while we were there though.

Regards

Keith

Sat navs Pick up within a a couple of minutes, if not instantly. You will struggle to get a signal inside the car park though.