Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick question about cleaning charges

I am intrigued, though ...
    Euan

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP View Post
    I am intrigued, though ...
    Rather a long story Euan but, if you are really interested, I'll try to be brief.

I've been renting the same condo on the Gulf Coast between 2 and 4 times a year since about 2002. Over that period the US based owners (not connected with this site) have become become personal friends. We get a great deal off them, aren't tied to check in and out times and even have our own sets of keys to the place. Everybody's happy with the arrangement and want it to continue. They e-mail me a price for the stay and I post a cheque to them from Florida when we arrive. There is always a generously discounted rental rate with a cleaning fee which I'm happy with.

Around this time last year they had the condo completely renovated changing the kitchen, bathrooms and just about everything else in it. I know that because we adjusted our stay to accommodate the contractors who were literally waiting outside when we left. The job took several weeks following which the owners came down and did all the painting and decorative stuff ready for new rentals. The point of telling you that is that it was very clear that the usual cleaning contractors didn't go in between us leaving and the next renters arriving although I had of course paid what is quite a hefty fee for that. I was aware of the situation then and just let it go. I figured that it was better to do that than damage a very good arrangement that suits all parties. We've been back twice since and are off there again in a few weeks.

This year the owners are coming into the condo on the day we leave and there's a short overlap when we'll no doubt have a drink and catch up with things for an hour or so before we set off. I'll also pay them for the stay which has an itemised cleaning fee added. Again, it's pretty clear no cleaners are actually coming into the property after we leave.

I'm happy to assume that it's all a bit of an oversight on the owners' parts and they they've just automatically charged their standard cleaning fee without giving it detailed thought but I'm left in a bit of a dilemma as to whether I should raise it with them. For the same reasons as last year, I suspect that I probably won't.

The purpose of my original post was to confirm my understanding that the usual routine is that the renter pays for the post-stay clean and not for the one before they arrive. Although it was beginning to veer Off Topic a bit, I think that has been done.

Thanks to all who responded.

PS. I have a much more challenging issue trying to convince my wife that, as we've paid a cleaning fee, she doesn't have to spend the last day of her holiday bringing the place up to a higher standard than when we arrived. All attempts on my part over the years have resulted in complete failure!!
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 16-08-2012 at 05:10.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I don't know if this is any help KG, but here's one way of looking at it ...

If the owners are coming in straight after you but aren't employing the regular cleaning staff one assumes that the owners themselves are picking up the clean following your stay - doing the laundry, remaking beds, cleaning bathrooms, etc. (your last paragraph notwithstanding of course). In this case one may view it that the owners are still correct to charge an end-of-stay clean, it's just that the service is being delivered slightly differently in this case.

Where the contractors were in straight after you I think is similar, but in a different way. The first observation is that the laundry still needs doing at the point you leave (or before the next guests are in), fridges/freezers still need emptying, trash needs to be disposed, bathrooms cleaned, etc. Whether this was done at the point you leave, or during the remodel, or after the remodel before the next guests arrive, it still gets done so it still creates the cleaning cost ... more-or-less.
    Steve

The answer to your question is 'The clean fee fee is for whatever clean the owner sees fit to charge for' usually the end of stay but not always. If you ask the owners, they will tell you.
    Either way the house gets to be cleaned, who is to say the cleaners are not going in while the owners are in, if not as Steve says the owners will clean it. Sounds like they give you a great deal and are very accommodating, is it really worth nickle and diming them over the clean fee?

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by florida4sun View Post
    The answer to your question is 'The clean fee fee is for whatever clean the owner sees fit to charge for' usually the end of stay but not always. If you ask the owners, they will tell you.
    Either way the house gets to be cleaned, who is to say the cleaners are not going in while the owners are in, if not as Steve says the owners will clean it. Sounds like they give you a great deal and are very accommodating, is it really worth nickle and diming them over the clean fee?
    Your post precisely identifies the reasons why I didn't initially outline the background to my straightforward question to which I have received adequate and well intentioned responses. I have only enlarged on it because Euan said he was intrigued.

At no point in my posts have I asked for advice as to what I should do about the situation or whether it's justified because it really isn't that big a deal and I feel I can make my own judgement on it. I'm sure your comments are intended to be helpful and I appreciate that but I'm honestly not looking for guidance on what is a pretty trivial matter.

Thanks anyway.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 16-08-2012 at 09:50.

Thanks for the explanation, KG, it is really useful from an owner's point of view to be reminded that even with our longstanding guests we really shouldn't take everything for granted. I can see how two different views of this portion of the contract could be taken.
    Euan

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by florida4sun View Post
    Google 'Type A Personality'.

That's you that is. [msnmad]

I am flattered thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Google 'Type A Personality'.

That's you that is. [msnmad]

Administrator
    LOL, as someone who know's Martin personally, this shows how 'knowing' someone on a forum is totally different than in person. Having said that I'm sure Martin has some type A qualities such as caring for people and always aiming to help, plus plenty of self-motivation. Type A seems to imply impatience and and high stress which is not at all Martin [msntongue]

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    LOL, as someone who know's Martin personally, this shows how 'knowing' someone on a forum is totally different than in person. Having said that I'm sure Martin has some type A qualities such as caring for people and always aiming to help, plus plenty of self-motivation. Type A seems to imply impatience and and high stress which is not at all Martin [msntongue]
    Impatience and high stress??? Martin????? LOL! You'd be hard pushed to find a more caring, patient and genuinely lovely guy.
    Last edited by caroline; 17-08-2012 at 21:02. Reason: Doh! typo
    Caroline & Dave