Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: point orlando

Florida Chatterbox
    We enjoy a walk up and down I Drive.

Always plenty to see and do.

Florida Chatterbox DisneyPrincess's Avatar
    Pointe orlando is quite central - loads of places near by to eat, drink etc and a cinema and lots of crazy golf within easy access too. Had a relative stay at the Rosen Inn, Pointe Orlando and couldnt fault it

The i-ride trolley is a bus that travels constantly up and down i-drive and is really cheap - a dollar or two, and you can hop on and off at various points along the drive and return to your hotel just as easily.

People seem to give I-Drive a hard time, personally i think its a great central point for those visiting Orlando and wanting to stay in a hotel/motel/apartment rather than a villa. Also easy access from I-Drive to transport to the parks provided by hotel shuttles (we have done this before as we didn't want to drive and access to the parks from a villa without a car is VERY difficult). The hotels provide shuttles to the parks, sometimes free other times at a small charge. Yes, you are slightly restricted with what time you leave and are collected, but on our first trip as adults myself and my partner were not confident enough to drive and we stayed in a motel near Pointe Orlando - to be honest we absolutely loved it.

Dont listen to the I-Drive critics, its not 'Blackpool' or anything like. Its very touristy - loads of restaurants, bars and shops etc but its FLORIDA!! I can highly recommend Bahama Breeze for food and the Olive Garden.

Enjoy your trip and be sure to tell us all about it when you get back

Florida Expert
    I have honestly never been to Blackpool so can't comment on the comparisons although I have never seen anyone with a 'kiss me quick' hat on at International Drive. If by saying it's like Blackpool people mean busy and lively then yes, it is but I see that as a good thing.

We always drive up to International drive several times when we're in Florida. There is a great choice of restaurants, bars, shops and of course mini golf (although my kids are no longer kids so we don't really have an excuse for mini golf any more). You can walk around quite easily although there's plenty of parking if you prefer to drive. There are also some smaller attractions there like Wonderworks which is good for an hour or so. We like the choice of restaurants and there is a nice buzz to the place.

I'm sure you'll love it there and find plenty to do. Have a great trip.
    Angela

Florida Chatterbox

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess View Post
    People seem to give I-Drive a hard time, personally i think its a great central point for those visiting Orlando and wanting to stay in a hotel/motel/apartment rather than a villa.
    I agree. The irony is, people tend to use 'walking distance to shops and restaurants' as a positive in relation to villas but somehow bad when talking about I Drive.

We really like staying at villas but do miss being able to go out and walk around like you do when holidaying in, for example Spain. I-Drive is perfect for this. Can even take a hotel for a night, allowing you to have a few drinks. Great.

Can't be like Blackpool - it's clean and warm. []

+1

The first time I went to Florida I stayed at this hotel, which was actually called the Quality Inn Plaza back when I went in 2009. I loved it, I loved I-Drive also as there was plenty of shops/restaurants and people on the streets day and night. We got the 7-day pass for the I-Trolley for next to nothing and the I-Trolley was able to take us to SeaWorld/Aquatica/WetnWild and we went to Universal by walking over the bridge which is to the left of WetnWild. Also for Busch Gardens you can get a bus near your Hotel (Close to Ripleys believe it or not). Also you have a few bars you could go to at night or just take a walk down the road which is good.

I have since been to Florida and stayed in a Villa twice, I like Villas as you have your own home/pool etc. but I do sometimes feel out of the way from the main spots so someday I would like to return to I-Drive and stay.
    Last edited by LFCGeorge; 14-08-2012 at 10:39.

You are close to many things and there s always the I-Ride where for $1 you can go from "your end" of International Drive all the way to the old Beltz outlets....great prices and much cheaper than the mall the other end.
    We stayed for years on International Drive and always liked the "buzz" and being able to walk around in the evening. We still go up quite often...in fact, going today for some clothes for our cruise on Friday.
    You will love it, and as an introduction to Central Florida it is a great way to get used to things and find your way around.

The hotel is near the convention centre and there are lots of places to eat within a few minutes walk. Also lots of shops and attractions very close by. As Carol said, the I-Ride trolley bus runs regularly up and down the length of I-Drive. Enjoy!
    Jim

Florida Expert
    There's also Florida's largest IMAX (5 stories high) at The Point. We usually watch a film there during our visits.

Florida Expert
    Kirkintilloch, Scotland and Indian Creek, Kissimmee
    A great place for restaurants - Pointe Orlando - try the Family dinner at Maggianos - to die for! Not cheap - but worth every $
    Jean

Florida Chatterbox freddiehollie's Avatar
    [QUOTE=DisneyPrincess;699541)
    Don't listen to the I-Drive critics, its not 'Blackpool' or anything like. Its very touristy - loads of restaurants, bars and shops etc but its FLORIDA!! I can highly recommend Bahama Breeze for food and the Olive Garden.

Agree with DisneyPrincess. Although we do not get to I-Drive much any more, It is certainly "not" like Blackpool.

We were at Blackpool last week, the twins wanted to go up the Tower (ok), & to Sealife (rubbish), ("so we can see if its like Sea World") Their choice "NOT" mine.

What a dump!!!!!!!! The promenade was covered with rubbish, bins overflowing, so people were just throwing rubbish on top of the piles around the bins. That was then blowing around the front.

There are rude people everywhere, but on Blackpool prom!!!! they were awful.

The amount of decay around the prom (town side) was very sad to see. In the 20+ years of going to Orlando I have "never" seen such a tatty area.

The newer areas on the beach side were very nice, but I can't see those areas staying like that, if people just discard litter everywhere, with no respect for others.

Very Very Sad!!!!!!!!!!!![msnsad]
    mike