Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IFE systems - the way forward?

IFE systems - the way forward?

Just read an interesting article about IFE's and the idea that really they are now pretty much old hat and what the airlines should be doing is giving each passenger an iPad (or similar) to use instead. The arguments in favour of it are around things like cost saving as the tablets are much lighter per passenger than the IFE (in fact, one 767-300ER flying its longest route of JFK-Buenos Aries would save 133 gallons of fuel a flight due to weight savings, and if there was one round trip per day, that would equate to a saving of $529,140 per year). The tablets would be significantly cheaper to install compared to the usual costs of IFE systems, you wouldn't need to give them out to empty seats or people not wishing them, or wanting to use their own devices. If a system got broken then it is much easier to replace a single unit. The downsides are storage (although, without the IFE the seat ergonomics could be improved) - perhaps the tablets would be stored and administered at the gates?? and the fact that they are hand-held so take up space (perhaps the seats could have a holder built in?).

Currently Singapore Airlines subsidiary Scoot is currently trialling renting out iPads at $22 a flight for economy passengers (free to business) and Quantas is looking to implement the same on its 767's.

Seems like a brilliant idea to me.
    Euan

Gold 5 Star Member
    American have been using tablets in First & Business international flights for quite a few years. Originally, they handed the unit out to passengers just after take off and it fitted into a frame on the back of the seat in front. You just connected the lead to the cigar lighter type power source. In fact they ditched the idea recently and went back to a fixed unit in the same place. Tellingly perhaps, all their new planes are now delivered with a fixed unit.

I fly US coast to coast transcontinental fairly regularly in First on AA and the 767/777's and on those flights a tablet is handed out in a case containing the tablet, leads and headphones. The lead plugs into the seat in front and the tablet if fitted with a frame so that it stands up on your table. The empty case is quite big and you end up putting it in the overhead bins because it takes up so much room.

I do like the tablets on the transcons but, like the old international system. they aren't without their problems. Firstly, you usually wait about half and hour before they actually hand them out. That takes time because, understandably, the flight attendants have to record who has one when it comes time to collect. Most annoyingly, they usually collect them about an hour before landing so, unless you do your time calculations accurately, it can be taken from you before your viewing has finished. I can only speak for AA but they are very strict on collections and a plea to see the end of a film before collection always meets with a firm "no". The other problem is that it's very hard to watch the tablet on the table and eat your meal. I would think it wouldn't even be possible to have both on the table at the same time if the system was extended to Economy.

Finally, I can't imagine how long it would take to hand out and collect the tablets in Economy. It works OK with maybe 20-30 premium seats but 250 in the back of the plane would be a logistical nightmare to collate and collect.

I'm sure the airlines are well aware of these issues and are maybe able to find ways a round it but I think it might be a long time before it's universal on major carriers.

Another take on the un-necessary weight (& safety) issue, I've always been amazed that the carriage of so-called 'duty free' highly flammable glass-packaged liquids is allowed.... Why can't vouchers be issued for the pickup of same on arrival ???
    Identical umpteen litres of fluid are flying back & forth - liquids aren't light....
    On the IFE subject, if issued individually, I suspect that they would just be used as another way for airlines to increase their 'take' per seat, same as they do with headphones on certain charter flights presently..........

Florida Newbie
    Why can't they just have an iPad or similar fitted into the rear of the headrest as standard? They could use a security lock system so that only the air stewards could remove/replace if the iPad became faulty for any reason. If they wanted to charge for the service they could implement some kind of purchasable password system.

I have no idea how much standard IFE weighs or costs, but I flew transatlantic with US Airways last week and their IFE was brilliant. Nearly 50 movies to choose from a touch screen TV and countless TV shows and games etc. I did wonder if they have individual HDD's or one big one somewhere on the plane. Friends of ours flew with Virgin and they had the old system where a handful of movies were played on loop and you had to time when to start watching one, I thought that was pretty poor IFE for such a big (more expensive) airline.

Florida Chatterbox
    I flew transatlantic to O'Hare last year (en route to Tampa) with United and all we had was the the old style big screen and a few drop-down LCDs running one schedule. I didn't even realise they still had them. The kids were gutted.

I'm sure tablets will become the norm for IFE, probably fitted to the back of the seats like current systems. With better quality pictures, better touch screens and more functionality (plus this weight saving point) I think it is a bit of a no-brainer. The old back seat LCDs are old technology and unreliable. However, the airlines are trying to find an effective way to offer fast in-flight wifi/broadband. If they succeed, the onus may fall on passengers to bring their own devices.

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    We just returned from the USA, flying with United. We had a mixed bag with the IFE:

Heathrow to Houston: B777 with the latest big touchscreen devices, loads of films, pause and start when you want etc etc. Perfect.

Houston to Nashville: Embraer E145 so no IFE and it's only a shortish flight anyway, so not an issue.

Phoenix to Chicago: B737 with live TV via Direct TV. Nice screens but with controls on the top of the armrest, so I constantly had the volume going up and down, channels changing etc etc. You had to pay to watch US TV on it too - the only free option was a lot of adverts showing you what you were missing if you were not paying (not a lot ).

Chicago to Heathrow: B767 with a REALLY old IFE. The seat back screens were tiny and really hard to see. You could make out the individual pixels on the screens as the dots per inch must have been awful. It was the old style controls, again in the top of the armrest and again easy to change inadvertently with your arm. No pause, no start when you want and not much choice.

Luckily I always just use the flight map on the IFE and take my own iPad loaded with things I want to watch, along with my own noise cancelling headphones (great for keeping things quiet for a sleep even when you are not listening to anything).

They just need to get decent wifi onboard and they could do away with IFE. Took a couole of flights in Norway recently. Free WIFI above 10,000 feet. Worked great, I ran a lot of youtube videos with problem. Plane was full too.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk View Post

Luckily I always just use the flight map on the IFE and take my own iPad loaded with things I want to watch.
    I don't know how long it's been possible but I see that you can now download TV programmes from the BBC iPlayer straight onto your iPad. I'm flying next week so have been deliberately not watching programmes I want to see so I can watch them inflight.

KG, I know that on the PC BBC iPlayer verifies the IP address of the machine before playing the programme even if you have downloaded it. It is looking for the geographical region of the IP address to ensure appropriate licensing is catered for. The simple fix of disconnecting from the internet does not solve the issue, so you may want to check that you can switch the Wi-Fi of the iPad off (and 3G if you have that as well - ie go into Airplane Mode) and still start a programme that you've downloaded so as to avoid any frustration/disappointment on a long flight - don't want to have any iPad/iPlayer air rage incidents!!
    Euan

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP View Post
    KG, I know that on the PC BBC iPlayer verifies the IP address of the machine before playing the programme even if you have downloaded it. It is looking for the geographical region of the IP address to ensure appropriate licensing is catered for. The simple fix of disconnecting from the internet does not solve the issue, so you may want to check that you can switch the Wi-Fi of the iPad off (and 3G if you have that as well - ie go into Airplane Mode) and still start a programme that you've downloaded so as to avoid any frustration/disappointment on a long flight - don't want to have any iPad/iPlayer air rage incidents!!
    Thanks Euan - apparently this is a very new move only in place since the start of this week. I stumbled across it by pure accident last night. You need to update the iPlayer App before you can download.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-...phone-and-ipad