Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lazy, lazy holiday

Lazy, lazy holiday

Just approaching the end of our first week in Captiva and was pondering whether to post this or not, as we've done virtually nothing except lie by the pool with a big jug of margheritas a a pitcher of cold red wine. The weather is spectacular, the pool temperature is 92 and the suntan is coming on nicely. We've rented a house for a month and decided to take it really slow and relaxed.

Started last Saturday, with taxi collecting us at 6.30am for an 11am flight MAN-PHL. We knew before we left the house that the flight was delayed, but couldn't change the taxi time at that stage. We needed to get there early in any case because Mrs T had broken her ankle (just got out of plaster) and we needed to organise wheelchair etc. Also, frustratingly, because she travels on a visa, we couldn't check in online. Arrived at MAN in plenty of time, got a wheelchair sorted, checked in and headed to breakfast at the place which sounds like Ben and Jerry's but isn't. I can never remember the name.

There are lots of advantages to having a wheelchair in the party; you get to use the fast lane through security and board ahead of everyone else. On this occasion it made no difference however because there was no queue at all through security. I was surprised given it was the first school holiday weekend, I had imagined the place would be heaving. Anyway, we got away about 2 hrs or so late and had our first experience of the new US Airways 333. Decent seat pitch and width (although, having lost a chunk of weight recently, I may have confused whether the increased space was down to me or the seats). The entertainment system is way better than Virgin's and all in all an uneventful but pleasant flight.

All changed when we got to Philly. It was packed, noisy, slow and tiresome. The wheelchair made a difference. We got collected off the flight and, with the rest of us in tow, Mrs T was wheeled to the special line to clear immigration. It took about 45 mins, and we were now running very tight on time for the connecting flight to Fort Myers. Through customs with the usual questions, why Mrs T the only one with a Visa? What do you do for a living? Etc. The queues were the longest I have ever seen and all the staff were commenting the same. It seems just about all the flights in were delayed and all arrived at once. If we hadn't had the wheelchair advantage I doubt if we would have made the connection.

The really nice lady who had pushed Mrs T around for an hour or so got us to the gate with little fuss. The frustrating part is clearing immigration, then finding suitcases, then through customs, then security again, all the while having to show and reshow passports and boarding cards. It's a real pain. Usually, on this route we have plenty of time and it is no trouble, but this time, rushing to catch a flight, it was very frustrating.

It was then, arriving at the gate, that I made a terrible mistake which I will regret for years. I only discovered what it was when we arrived at Fort Myers. The lady who had pushed the wheelchair left us off at the gate, hung around a bit to make sure we were OK and left. Slowly...

I don't know how I didn't spot it. I put it down to us being novices with wheelchairs, but I assumed she was an airline employee and I remember thinking to myself I should make sure I tip her well, then wondering is that what you do for wheelchair assistance, then it was all rush to get on board and I thought no more about it. Until we reached Fort Myers and the guy doing the wheelchair thing there made it very clear he was not an airline employee, but a porter and expected a tip.

I've been puzzling how I could find the nice lady from Philly and apologise, plus give her a generous tip, but I fear it may be impossible. The guilt is keeping me awake nights!

So, to Fort Myers, off to Alamo to collect the car. Blasted self service machine scanned the pre booked voucher and announced 'go to desk'. No explanation. Hate it. So, queue for 30 mins, listening to everybody ahead of us trying to fend off the upgrade offers and extra insurance etc, then it was our turn. This time, there were only 5 of us and I had booked the full size SUV, which is great if it's a Tahoe or an Expedition, but rubbish if it's almost anything else (in my own humble opinion of course). The worst we ever had was a Durango, which we took on protest because there was nothing else, but we hated it with a passion. Of course this time, all they had was a Durango. Or upgrade to a Suburban. Now, normally we would do this and we have used a Suburban many times and like it, but we aren't doing much driving this time and it just seems a waste, so, with a bitter taste in my mouth, and because it was now very late, we took the flipping Durango. It turns out it has been restyled since our last one and is actually OK. A bit bigger and not nasty inside.

Then off to the bridge over the Causeway onto Sanibel, where we collected the Villa keys, and then the leisurely drive to Andy Rosse Lane on Captiva. It feels like coming home. This place is where we were meant to be. The house is very new, and huge by our UK standards. Sleep then up early to go back to Fort Myers for groceries.

I've just finished a rum and coke whilst writing this and we're just about to get changed to head to Doc Ford's for an early dinner, so more when I've got back. Enjoy the opening ceremony!
    Last edited by Tonish; 28-07-2012 at 01:38.
    Tonish

Florida Newbie
    Think your right about the car we have the navigator and am having to really cane it to feel I've had my money's worth 1400 for three weeks is enough

Florida Chatterbox
    We were on the same flight as you and as you say Philadelphia was a nightmare. 2 hours to clear immigration and what was originally 4 hour layover turned out not long enough. Got the luggage on the flight to Tampa but missed the flight by mins. Service guy booked us on flight for sunday morning and said we should get free room but they got none left. Gave us a pink slip and said if we called the number we would be offered discounted room which we could claim back. Phoned the number and guess what! No discounted rooms in the area left. We checked in to the Marriott in the end at a cost of $250 for the night. Sent claim in to US who have agreed their max of $75 plus a $150 voucher x4 for future flight. Worried about the return on Aug 5th as we only have 1 hour and don't fancy another night in Philadelphia Marriott

To be honest I would have been spitting nails. If we tipped everyone who helped with wheelchair assistance then we would be bankrupt. There is no advantage in being in a wheelchair and shame on anyone who tries to take advantage like this. Any airline will provide special assitance if required and free of someone sticking their palm out for money. Best to call ahead first.
    The special lanes and access are not any advantage but a necessity for disabled people. It can frightening and dangerous as a wheelchair user to be in large groups of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonish View Post

I don't know how I didn't spot it. I put it down to us being novices with wheelchairs, but I assumed she was an airline employee and I remember thinking to myself I should make sure I tip her well, then wondering is that what you do for wheelchair assistance, then it was all rush to get on board and I thought no more about it. Until we reached Fort Myers and the guy doing the wheelchair thing there made it very clear he was not an airline employee, but a porter and expected a tip.

I've been puzzling how I could find the nice lady from Philly and apologise, plus give her a generous tip, but I fear it may be impossible. The guilt is keeping me awake nights!

Well said Martin.
    Dave.

I needed a wheelchair a few years ago after a knee operation. Have to say, I never even thought about a tip and the Indian lady who was pushing me around was not hanging around looking for a tip. When I reached MCO, I was part of a double wheelchair push by a guy. It was not pleasant either with him trying to push 2 chairs. The immigration queue for wheelchairs also included cabin crew and there were several planes landed so that was no fun either and a long wait.

Personally I am glad I am normally healthy as the benefits of being healthy far exceed the benefits of needing a wheelchair for medical conditions.

Tonish, sounds like you are successfully 'chillin' so enjoy your stay and stop the guilt trip.[msnwink]

Florida Newbie
    I held the double doors open at cracker barrel for a disabled couple yesterday they said thanks but no tip

When I was 'disabled' after my knee op, it made me realise how important it is for people to open doors, hold them open, etc., and I am so much more aware of people who are on crutches, blind, etc. It may be a small thing to do, hold a door open, but believe me, it is so much appreciated so well done Mutbeav8.

Florida Newbie
    I always do it's courteous
    Last edited by Mutbeav8; 28-07-2012 at 22:00.

i now get wheelchair assistance everytime we go to florida... i cant walk far cos of the pain and then sitting for long periods at a time is also a killer... last trip to floridalast september after getting out of my seat on the plane i found i couldnt get my sandal on...my left foot (same leg as replaced knee) was so swollen had no choice but again to use wheelchair....

anyways Tonish i love your report and also love to sit around the pool alot usually drinking budlight lime or any of their gorgeous juices... i love it when others do the same as us/me.. chill lol after raising 6 kids think i'm entitled... kindle in one hand drink in t'other lol then in the pool when to hot.. repeats pattern all afternoon/evening lol... you enjoy Tonish xx
    Liesa