Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Hidden costs using a mobile in Orlando???

Cool Hidden costs using a mobile in Orlando???

Hi experts,
    I was after some advice from the people in the know about using a mobile phone in the US. I have been to Orlando before but i never used my phone last time and i have been told to turn all roaming off and never to use my phone there because of the ridiculous costs. My wife and daughter are flying to Orlando in September to visit relatives but I am not traveling and will need my daily dose of pictures and videos of my baby daughter who will be 9 months old at the time. They are staying in a Disney's all star resort and i believe that they have WIFI access in the room and certainly the resort. I was wondering how she would be able to send me pictures and videos via email from her phone using the free WIFI. I realise that she can do it from a computer but it would be so much easier if he could just send them straight from her mobile phone rather than having to mess around with memory cards etc. I appreciate that this is not a villa related question but any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks Paul

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    I'm not really sure but I would have thought that would be fine as long as she connects her phone to the free wifi. My son is on pay as you go on his phone but uses his home WiFi or our WiFi when he visits us to access the internet and this does not use any money on his phone.
    Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
    I'm not really sure but I would have thought that would be fine as long as she connects her phone to the free wifi.
    As Lyn said. Just make doubly sure you are connected to the free wi-fi.

Keith

Florida Chatterbox
    In the handset, turn off 'data roaming' and only connect through the wi-fi and they can email, whatsapp etc and surf the net for free (as long as the wi-fi is being offered free which I guess it will be). If they have no intention of using the phone for calls or SMS either, just turn the 3G off as well. That way you can be absolutely certain you are not using the phone network for anything.

Data roaming can be very expensive in the US when on a UK plan. I have an iPhone on 3 and had to US data roam for half a day due to a work issue - I racked up £20 - 3 were kind enough to text me every hour or so telling me how much I was spending!

Thanks very much for all replies. Graeme that was exactly what I was hoping for. Basically providing she turns everything off it will be absolutely free for her to send me pictures and videos through whatsapp the same as she does here.
    Paul

What about Face Time if you have I-PAD's you can talk to your family live, that's providing you both have an I-PAD at each end. As said above switch off all apps otherwise your wife will get a large bill.

Florida Savvy
    I-pod or I-pad for face time
    Ian Mcc