Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using USA sim card in uk mobile phone

Florida Newbie

Using USA sim card in uk mobile phone

Hi I have a iPhone 4 mobile phone on t mobile contract

Can I use a USA t mobile sim card in my uk phone while I'm in USA also have iPad. 3 g could I use a USA sim in that to.

Gold 5 Star Member
    It's a very complex issue and I'm no expert but the general position is that you can't just swap sim cards especially if your phone is locked to a UK network. I get a sim from AT&T when I'm in the US but I bought my iPhone direct from Apple.

I'm sure others who are wiser on this subject will be able to advise you better.

I think T-Mobile would be the best place to get that advice. I wish you luck with that call !

Interesting, KG, that your iphone will work with SIMs from different operators. Earlier this year I bought an iPhone 4 from an Apple shop for my daughter, and they warned me that whilst it was an unlocked phone, it would lock itself to the network of the first SIM inserted. In our case we had an O2 SIM, I've not tested their theory by trying any other though.
    Dave.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Hi Dave

I've used the system many times with different AT&T sims in the US without any problems and I have an O2 sim here. I get their 'Go Phone' $15 prepaid card which usually lasts me for a couple of weeks but it's very easily topped up if necessary.

The main drawback is that I can't get data but there's so much wi-fi around, it's not a major problem. I've seen YouTube videos about bypassing the system to get data but I've never tried them.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 22-06-2012 at 07:51.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dads_Taxi View Post
    I think T-Mobile would be the best place to get that advice. I wish you luck with that call !

Interesting, KG, that your iphone will work with SIMs from different operators. Earlier this year I bought an iPhone 4 from an Apple shop for my daughter, and they warned me that whilst it was an unlocked phone, it would lock itself to the network of the first SIM inserted. In our case we had an O2 SIM, I've not tested their theory by trying any other though.
    Funnily enough we've been buying our phones from carphone warehouse for a couple of years because they are "unlocked" but for the firat time recently we were told that they would lock to a network as soon as the sim was put in and connected.
    Babblin Boo

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    I do the same but do have data too. The process of enabling data on it is not for the feint hearted though and I had to jump through quite a few hoops to do so. Luckily I know my way round an iPhone and the Provisioning Profiles so it was not too bad, but I'd not recommend it for someone who does not.

The iPad is easier though as if it's unlocked, just go into any AT&T store and ask for an iPad micro SIM. They are on a monthly basis and you sign up online once you have put the SIM into your iPad. The contract is only on a rolling 30 day basis, so you just stop it when you come home and then next time you go to the USA, put the SIM back into your iPad, sign up for another month etc etc. Works really well and is very easy to do. Don't be put off by the contract. As long as you have a credit / debit card registered to a US address it's literally as easy as adding your address and credit card details in the popup window you see when you first insert the AT&T SIM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katys Grandad View Post
    Hi Dave

I've used the system many times with different AT&T sims in the US without any problems and I have an O2 sim here. I get their 'Go Phone' $15 prepaid card which usually lasts me for a couple of weeks but it's very easily topped up if necessary.

The main drawback is that I can't get data but there's so much wi-fi around, it's not a major problem. I've seen YouTube videos about bypassing the system to get data but I've never tried them.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I was a little concerned to read what Dave had been told at the Apple store because I don't want my phone to be locked so I called Apple this morning. They confirmed that any iphone purchased direct from them in store or online is unlocked and the sim can be changed to another provider any time and as often as you wish.

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    That's only partly true. If you put a SIM in that is on contract, then it *may* lock the phone to that carrier (best advice is to check with that carrier first), but if you use a pay as you go SIM or even sometimes contract SIM's (we have a 30 day contract with 3.co.uk and that does not lock the phone for example) then you should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Dads_Taxi View Post
    Earlier this year I bought an iPhone 4 from an Apple shop for my daughter, and they warned me that whilst it was an unlocked phone, it would lock itself to the network of the first SIM inserted. In our case we had an O2 SIM, I've not tested their theory by trying any other though.

Is it better to get an AT&T sim etc, my phone is an HTC which is pay as you go o2 so I reckon I could put an American SIM into it but we usually go to walmart and buy the prepaid phone it's about 25$ but it gives us free minutes to the UK landlines or maybe it's UK mobiles and also free minutes to other american numbers?

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LFCGeorge View Post
    Is it better to get an AT&T sim etc, my phone is an HTC which is pay as you go o2 so I reckon I could put an American SIM into it but we usually go to walmart and buy the prepaid phone it's about 25$ but it gives us free minutes to the UK landlines or maybe it's UK mobiles and also free minutes to other american numbers?
    I suppose it's what suits your particular needs. The advantage for me of putting a sim in my own phone is that I still have all my contacts and Apps already there so I don't have to remember numbers for a new device. Of course all the data functions still work where w-fi is available so things like bookmarked websites are all in place.