Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using USA sim card in uk mobile phone

You may want to check out the T-Mobile web site in the U.S.

I have been using them for the past 5 years with their pay-as-you-go sims so I can keep the same number each time I am in the U.S.

They now offer Pay-by-the-day services, they are more expensive but for short visits offer good options. The two plans below are unlimited and the only difference is the data speed.

Regards Dave

-------------------------------------------------
    Plan details : $3/Day Unlimited Talk, Text & Web (200 MB per day at up to 4G speed)
    Great for email, Facebook, web surfing, GPS navigation, downloading apps/music/games, and more.

Plan details : $2/Day Unlimited Talk, Text & 2G Web
    Great for email, directions, and basic web surfing.
    Dave Lewis

My iphone came from Vodafone and is on contract. On a recent visit to Thailand, we tried to put a Thai sim card in, but the phone was locked so unable to do it.

Florida Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    You may want to check out the T-Mobile web site in the U.S.

I have been using them for the past 5 years with their pay-as-you-go sims so I can keep the same number each time I am in the U.S.

They now offer Pay-by-the-day services, they are more expensive but for short visits offer good options. The two plans below are unlimited and the only difference is the data speed.

Regards Dave

-------------------------------------------------
    Plan details : $3/Day Unlimited Talk, Text & Web (200 MB per day at up to 4G speed)
    Great for email, Facebook, web surfing, GPS navigation, downloading apps/music/games, and more.

Plan details : $2/Day Unlimited Talk, Text & 2G Web
    Great for email, directions, and basic web surfing.
    Bit dim on all things mobile, but can I pick up a SIM in walmart or have one shipped to the villa , then activate this plan online once I arrive in the states and get the SIM? Does it need a US credit card or can I use a UK one?

Any clues gratefully received.
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    Bit dim on all things mobile, but can I pick up a SIM in walmart or have one shipped to the villa , then activate this plan online once I arrive in the states and get the SIM? Does it need a US credit card or can I use a UK one?

Any clues gratefully received.
    You should just be able to go into any T-Mobile shop or outlet in the U.S. and buy a sim which will then be loaded with a set dollar amount of credit. You can do this with a credit card or cash.

Any day you use the phone then $2 or $3 will be taken from the total, depending on your plan. You can then add money at any point either in a shop, online or over the phone.

Dave
    Dave Lewis

I know I'm probably being a bit thick but why do sim cards need to be changed. Both my phone (Virgin) and my Wife's phone (Orange) work perfectly well over there and texts are reasonably cheap.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by syrup View Post
    I know I'm probably being a bit thick but why do sim cards need to be changed. Both my phone (Virgin) and my Wife's phone (Orange) work perfectly well over there and texts are reasonably cheap.
    The bills can really rack up if you use your own phone for international and domestic calls and data charges are horrendous. Used sparingly with data roaming turned off it's an option but you have to be very careful.

Florida Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by syrup View Post
    My son will get through 5000 texts in a month. In the UK this costs him £5 for a bundle with tesco. Even at a few pence per text its going to add up! It's him I need this for. all the people I text will be with me in the US
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    My son will get through 5000 texts in a month.
    Ah that's why. Beats my half a dozen :-)