Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10 Hours to Amuse Ourselves @ Sanford

Gold 5 Star Member
    Trouble is I guess you can't actually predict that the return flight will come back as it may come down to crews being out of hours and if security closes at 23.30 is the cleaning staff there and food etc to turn the aircraft around,) or something and having to wait till tomorrow. Good luck with whatever happens and have a safe journey.
    Babblin Boo

Well, we made it home. Security staff kindly stayed on until we were all cleared through, which was only a little after 2330, maybe 10 minutes or so. Duty Free stayed open until 0130 to maximise on people spending their $$$s,
    We were very well looked after throughout the day. The hotel put on a great meal and made sure we were all as comfortable as possible. They had free wifi so that I could write part 5 of my trip report too .
    Once back at the airport we were given a $5 voucher for the restaurant which didn't quite cover a portion of fries and a coke!

The only problem is that when we got home, we discovered several of our bags (there was 11 of us) were totally saturated inside. We can only assume that after we dropped the bags at 1.30pm they were left out in some of the rather severe rain that fell throughout the afternoon. My younger son had spent hundreds of dollars on designer clothes, and his bag was the worst, literally everything in his case was soaked, and a lovely sketch of him and his girlfriend was soggy too. He was really upset. Mum got his clothes straight in the washing machine and first signs are that there is no permanent staining, but the sketch is spoiled. His girlfriend's case also had water ingress, and her $100 trainers were totally soaked, along with several brand new clothes. Thankfully the photos from Discovery Cove were in my case which had nothing wet at all.
    I'll phone Monarch tomorrow, but I can't imagine getting much sympathy from them after the lack of enthusiasm I received last time I phoned them.
    Last edited by Dads_Taxi; 11-06-2012 at 08:05.
    Dave.

What a sad way to end what sounded like a great holiday.

20 months later I have a post-script to this, in that this morning we all received emails from Monarch informing us that we are to receive compensation for our delay, so that has made our day.

We originally wrote to Monarch using the template on the Money Saving Expert website some time in 2013, and got absolutely no response. I left it several months and then heard of a local solicitor's office having a high success rate in claiming flight delay compensation. Then last July, just as I was considering asking these solicitors to act on our behalf, the Money Saving Expert site mentioned the recent court ruling on these claims, and said if you've been ignored before, write again, and so I thought I'd give it another try myself. This time Monarch were really on the ball, they replied to my letter extremely quickly, sent me the forms to fill in, explained what I needed to send with the forms, and they have sent me regular emails updating me on the progress of our claims. To be fair virtually every one of those emails could be summarised as "we haven't forgotten you, don't call us, we'll call you"! However they have stuck to their word and this morning most of us have received word of the compensation being agreed.

The timing is great as we are currently looking aghast at prices in holiday brochures to get some sunshine this August, so this has encouraged us to get a pool-side holiday booked ASAP to look forward to.

Sadly, it won't be Florida. Oh well, we'll get back there eventually.
    Dave.

Well done! Just shows how persistence pays!
    Have a lovely holiday wherever you end up

Liz

Great result and it proves that sometimes it is worth persevering.
    Linda

Congratulations on getting what was due to you. It took us 18 months to get our compensation from Virgin for our 26 hour delay and we ended up issuing Court proceedings against them but they settled out of Court when the Huzar v. Jet2 ruling was announced ....
    Wendy

Florida Expert
    We have tried for our very long delay with virgin and they keep saying no, left it and tried again and they still said no even after the ruling, so we have put it with a claims company and leaving them to it.

Florida Chatterbox
    Nephew was delayed last year, spent night in Renaisance hotel. His mother told me yesterday that he got £50 from his travel insurance and another compensation payment BA. If BA is paying out then so should Virgin.