Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not doing the themed parks.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Not sure if you've already sorted your accommodation yet but do you really need to be based in Orlando if you're not visiting theme parks? I know that for some people Florida and Orlando are synonymous but there's an awful lot more to the State if you venture a bit farther.

Bok Tower is a lovely half day out and not far to call in for a meal at Cherry Pocket (they have a website) and we always love a visit to Mt.Dora. If you going to be there in December then I know you do not want to do the theme parks but the Osborne Lights in Holywood Studios are so worth a visit and go down to Celebration and it usually "snows" on the hour and the "ICE" exhibition at Gaylord Palms is spectacular.
    Val

Quote Originally Posted by Katys Grandad View Post
    Not sure if you've already sorted your accommodation yet but do you really need to be based in Orlando if you're not visiting theme parks? I know that for some people Florida and Orlando are synonymous but there's an awful lot more to the State if you venture a bit farther.
    I've already sorted out the accommodation. We normally do Tampa/Sarasota or Fort Lauderdale. After renting a villa last year with the family we much preferred it to a hotel, we stayed at Clermont and really liked it. Villas are difficult to find and expensive in the other parts of Florida.

I don't want to sound smarmy but we have done other places in America but just prefer Florida and the Floridians.

Keith

Thank you Val, I'm putting Mount Dora and Bok Tower on my list. I will look at the others.

Keith

We went to Crystal River north of Clermont to swim with the manatees in October. Early morning start I think the boat left at 6am but a really enjoyable day.

I have put Tavares on my schedule and will include it on the Mount Dora day. They seem to do a good Friday market and I'm keen to go on the Orange Blossom Cannonball steam train and a boat trip on Lake Dora and the canals.

Any thoughts?

p.s Thank you for Crystal River Julie

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    I know you said you didn't want to do the parks, but I highly recommend Sea World in December their Christmas shows and light displays are fantastic
    Lyn

Florida Expert
    Last visit, we drove to De Leon Springs (nice pancake house in the old mill, swimming, lake for kayak/canoeing, trails) before heading off mid afternoon to Daytona and parking on the beach. Will be going back again this summer.

Added votes here for the already mentioned Boardwalk, Celebration, Kelly Park, Mount Dora and Winter Park, the final two having lovely Christmas decorations up in December.

Quote Originally Posted by syrup View Post
    Villas are difficult to find and expensive in the other parts of Florida.

Keith
    Not if you look at the Gulf Coast villas advertised on this site Keith.

Maureen
    Maureen Green

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Green View Post
    Not if you look at the Gulf Coast villas advertised on this site Keith.

Maureen
    Good point but as it's an "Orlando Villas Forum" I didn't even think of looking here. A few years ago when basing ourselves in Tampa I just generally looked on the internet and could only find a couple, plus I wasn't aware of this site which I only found when searching for Orland. I'll know for the future!

Keith