Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: How long should I allow?

Florida Newbie

How long should I allow?

Hi, I found some flights last night for our Christmas vacation, with a stopover in Boston from gag wick, but it only gives an hour and a half for the stopover.
    has anyone flown into boston before, and how LNG should I allow for immigration etc? There's four adults and one 4 year old, and the total cost with delta was £2864....
    or £3000 for a 4 hour stopover in NYC with BA, which tbh I prefer...
    Any suggestions gratefully received!

Florida Newbie
    When we flew ino Boston, we went through immigration and customs very quickly - HOWEVER we were the first international flight to arrive that day! You can never guage how long you are going to wait! Remember that this also is reliant on your flights leaving the UK on time.

That said, should you miss your connections, using an American airline you usually have some additional choices of flights than can rebook you on.

Good luck!

Sean

Gold 5 Star Member
    To be honest I would probably opt for the New York flight out it gives you a little more leeway. Being December, either of them could be having snow at that time of year (just as Gatwick could) si I would go for the one with the best connection time to allow a bit more flexibility otherwise if you are say an hour taking off then you are going to worry the whole way about your connection, and also the one that ands you closest to your final destination.
    Not sure if you are coming back direct but if not then Boston would be the best option to return as you then only have a 6 hours flight acros the Atlantic and can sometimes pick up a day flight o you don't to travel overnight and the jet lag can be reduced.
    Babblin Boo

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    We have done many connecting flights, A no hassle one has been done at 1hr 15mins in New York, running pace. had about 10 min sit down before flight boarded.
    We try to leave at least 2 hours between flights, If you do have any problems with connections etc. then they will ebook you, but it will be on the next available seat flight. This is one of the reason we normally choose Newark, and flights tend to go to Orlando every 90 mins. Once we missed our connection due to aircraft not arriving to us on time, they put us up in hotel, but when we had snow problems last year in October flying home, they will rebook you, but find your own accommodation. This was not just a missed flight, but every plane was stopped, so the tailback was enormous, we didn't get back for 3 days, some it was over a week.

I know Newark pretty well now, and it is easy to navigate, check out the airport layout and if you need to change terminals etc. Don't forget if you going from same terminal though, you will be exiting the terminal as an international passenger and will re-enter security. Different coming home.
    CERI

Gold 5 Star Member
    The problem with Boston is that you arrive at the international terminal and have to catch a shuttle bus to the Delta(in your case) domestic terminal and go through security again. However your bags are handed in at the international terminal. As said above, immigration is a lottery; you can go through very quickly or a long wait.

That said I have been through Boston many times - it was my preferred route with AA from Manchester and 90 minutes was a normal stopover time.

If there is a delay they usually will hold the flight - there will be at least 5 passengers in your party alone -or in the worst case get you to your destination on another flight.

Personally I would take the Boston route.

Florida Newbie
    Thanks for the replies guys, in the end we've booked (sooooo excited!!!) the BA one that goes into JFK. For 3 hours, so hopefully not much rushing.
    On the way back it goes into Chicago for about 4 hours.
    I cannot wait!!! It was £3004 for 4 adults and a 4 year old, which I thought was amazing for BA! Virgin wanted £4300 and I did find one, united I think, who wanted £7000!!!!! Only got to wait 8 months now..... :-D

Gold 5 Star Member
    You might want to check that the flights are on BA aircraft because they code share a lot with American on the Heathrow-JFK & Chicago routes. The Orlando flights will be on American in both directions.

Not a problem unless being on BA is important to you. If you fly BA transatlantic you'll have to change terminal to catch the AA flight and also on the return through Chicago.