Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alamo and Toll Charges

Florida Newbie

Alamo and Toll Charges

Hi,

We've just signed up for the Alamo Express Kiosk at Tampa (I wasn't asked for a credit card - is that correct?) and on completion noticed the statement below:-

"If you or any driver operate the rental vehicle in Northern California, Florida, Colorado, or Texas, and generate an unpaid toll, you will be charged our Toll Pass Convenience Charge of $2.00 for each day you use a toll road or bridge plus the cost of all unpaid tolls. The maximum Toll Pass Convenience Charge for the rental period is $6.00, plus the cost of all unpaid tolls. For information call (877) 860-1284. If you or any driver operate the rental vehicle in areas not served by TollPass and generate any unpaid toll(s) then you will be charged for all unpaid tolls and an administrative charge of up to $25.00 per rental."

So does this mean I can drive through as many tolls as I want in Florida and if I don't pay by cash at the time I will be charged $6 plus whatever the toll-charge would be for the 2-weeks (and I'm assuming 7% tax to be added too)? In other words, no fine or extra to pay - if that's the case then I don't know why I ever bothered ensuring I had enough coins to toss in the bin at each booth in the past!

Are all toll roads in Florida served by TollPass?

Thanks
    Mark

Administrator
    I confirm this is the case. You opt in to use the tolls by going through a cashless lane (Sun Pass, etc). Once you do this, you will be charged $2 for tht day, plus whatever the toll is. The rest of that day you can use the Sun Pass as much as you like and it will just cost you the additional toll amounts on top of the one-off $2.

The maximum charge is $6 regardless of length of rental so after 3 days use you are just paying the actual toll amount.

Florida Chatterbox
    I may be misunderstanding all this. If you use the koisks are you automatically opting in to accept the $2.00 toll charge per day (up to a maximum $6.00 per week)?

I have a Sun Pass Account and transponder so I don't want to pay twice.

Administrator
    This is nothing to do with the kiosks.

I am in Florida at the moment and using this system. You only "opt in" if you drive through an express lane and do not have a transponder. At this point you get a $2 charge plus the toll added to your account.

Once you have used the system on three different days and reached the $6 Convenience Charge maximum you then only get charged for the actual toll.

Dave
    Dave Lewis

Florida Newbie

Smile

Thanks Roger and Dave for the confirmation.

No more worrying about having enough change

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks Roger & Dave.

No problem then, I just go through the tolls as normal with my transponder and the cost is taken from my Sun Pass account.

Just bought a transponder then found an Alamo leaflet about the above. Want to use it in future and for family use. On SunPass web site I have to register current car number plate and length of stay. Does that mean my new transponder is useless (not actually registered it yet). How can future use be OK if when I drive through SunPass lane it automatically logs the toll plus $2 etc? Or is it actually the transponder it 'looks at first'

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Dee View Post
    Just bought a transponder then found an Alamo leaflet about the above. Want to use it in future and for family use. On SunPass web site I have to register current car number plate and length of stay. Does that mean my new transponder is useless (not actually registered it yet). How can future use be OK if when I drive through SunPass lane it automatically logs the toll plus $2 etc? Or is it actually the transponder it 'looks at first'
    Ian,

Its not a problem. Once you have activated the transponder it works whether you register your current number plate or not. The reason for registering your number plate is if for whatever reason the transponder is not recognised at a toll booth it will be recognised that you have a Sun Pass account and not face a fine. You can also enter the fact that its a rental car and the time period that you will have the car and when you come again just register the new vehicle. When we first arrive I drive through a pay toll booth just to check that the transponder is working and then register my plate when I get to my house and can get online.

Ian
    Last edited by Laurel Oak; 14-05-2012 at 14:35.

Thanks Ian, that's a comfort!
    However what about the point re Alamo?
    Would you know if I will also get charged by them as the number plate will be 'read'. ?